Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
NLP and LIS
Transcript of NLP and LIS
1. Too many
2. Too long
3. Often contradictory
4. Lack structure
5. Have language identity
6. Silent or static
Solutions in Principle?
Why LIS? Why Libraries?
LIS & T
Language Technologies and LIS
Victoria Rubin, FIMS, UWO: Fall 2014
Why should MLIS students care?
21 century information spaces:
and pervasively proximate “
UCaPP Mark Federman (2005)
Alternative careers within libraries or broader Information profession!
What do you need to be able to do?
use of computers
to represent & analyze human language,
or different kinds of information encoded in a free text form
aka Natural Language Processing
1. IR, Question Answering
2. Automated Summarization &– Abstraction
3. Multi-Document Summaries
4. Layered analyses – rely on linguistic insights or probabilities
5. Machine Translation, Cross-Language IR
6. Text-to-Speech, Speech Recognition, Conversational Agents
- have a mandate of Knowledge Organization & Access
- is not restricted to Ls
- brings new methods
- not too be ignored as computing of the methods
Know (a bit) about
Find out student population by university? (e.g., GoogleSquares)
Sort images by mood?
Find lesson plans by grade?
Music downloads (e.g., Nokia) by country + time of day + genre: what does it tell you about the population preferences?
Delegate some tasks to
to be employed outside of libs
of automated text solutions
to make sense of information