Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Synedra (Diatoms)
Unicellular or Multicellular?
Diatoms are a major food resource for marine and freshwater microorganisms and animal larvae.
When diatoms reproduce, they get smaller in size.
Diatoms strengthen hair, nails, gums, and teeth.
Many species of diatoms stay connected after the cells divide. They form colonies.
The brown scrum you see on the rocks in the streams is probably diatoms.
Diatoms were discovered in 1702 by Anton van Leeuwenhoek.
25,000 species of diatoms have been found.
Cell Wall? What Is It Made Of?
The cell wall is made of Silica. Another name for this is "frustule."
How Does It Obtain Energy?
Diatoms get energy from the sun to use in the process of photosynthesis.
Is It Mobile or Immoblie?
Diatoms are mobile. They have crystals that hydrate and stick to surfaces. When the crystals contract, they move the diatom.
Asexual or Sexual?
Swimming Pool Filters
Reduce High Blood Pressure
By: Kaitlyn Ates