Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
THE MILKY WAY
Transcript of THE MILKY WAY
1. A star is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma held together by its own gravity.
2.Constellations are a group of stars forming a recognizable pattern that is traditionally named after its apparent form.
3. A planet is a astronomical object orbiting around a star that is strong and big enough to be rounded by it's own gravity. Scientists/ astronomers believe there are about 60 billion planets in the Milky Way galaxy but they aren't sure about it. 4. Gas is one of the four states of matter, it is made up of individual atoms therefore they can move around freely and are colorless
5. Cosmic dust is everywhere in space.
Size and Structure!
The size of the Milky Way Galaxy is approximately 100000Ly - 946,073,047,258,080,100 Kilometers in diameter and about 1,000Ly- 9,460,730,472,580800 Kilometers thick, Light year is a unit of astronomical distance equivalent to the distance that light travels in one year, you can tell the speed of light, if you know how far it travels in an year-which is 9,460,730,472,582,800m exactly. Which means light travels at 299,792,458 meters per second - 1,079,252,848,800kilometers per hour.
The Galaxy is made up of a bar-shaped core region surrounded by a disk of gas, dust and stars, in which our solar system lies.
Astronomers first began to suspect that the Milky Way is a barred spiral galaxy, rather than an ordinary spiral galaxy, in the 1990s. By the Spitzer Space Telescope observations in 2005, it showed the Galaxy's central bar to be larger than previously suspected.
The history of the Milky Way galaxy, goes all the way back to the 'Big Bang'. Scientists say that the Milky Way was formed after the Big Bang, and therefore is 13.2 billions years old.
The Milky Way was the first GALAXY to ever be found. There are loads of theories about who found the Milky way galaxy, all the way from 322BC. Most people think it was the greek philosophers, where on the other side people think it's Thomas Wright. But people best got the understanding of the Milky Way galaxy since 1923.
FUN FACTS !
1153678000000000000000000000000000000000000 kilograms, that is the weight of the Milky Way galaxy
2. The milky Way galaxy is big enough to fit 17 billion Earths in it.
3. The heart of the Milky Way is a black hole, which is around about 14 million miles across.
4. The Milky Way is moving, Earth moves around the sun, sun moves around the Milky Way, the Milky Way is part of the local group, which is moving relative to the cosmic microwave background radiation - radiation left over from the Big Bang. the speed of the local group is calculated to move 600km per second.
What is the Milky Way Galaxy?
The milky way is a galaxy in which our Solar System lies. It's name "Milky" is obtained because of it's appearance as a dim glowing band, arching across the night sky in which your eye itself( without telescopes...) cannot distinguish individual stars. There are a total of 300 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy. The Milky Way is a BARRED spiral galaxy - a galaxy with a central bar-shaped structure composed by stars. SPIRAL - Spiral galaxies consist of a flat, rotating disk containing stars, gas and dust. It's some 100,000–120,000 light-years in diameter.
THE LOCAL GROUP!
The Local Group is the group of galaxies that includes the Milky Way among others. It contains more than 54 galaxies, counting dwarf galaxies. Its gravitational center is located somewhere between Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy, because these two are the biggest of them all.