Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Thesis Proposal Presentation
Transcript of Thesis Proposal Presentation
Our Heavenly Father, the source of love and wisdom
We praise and thank You for the countless gifts
You generously shower upon us.
We thank You for the strength, the will, and the inspiration to work on this research
Aside from the educational competence we gained
We learned the value of perseverance, cooperation, and diligence.
We humbly offer You this piece of work,
Let it be an expression of our desire to grow not only in knowledge, but more in wisdom.
May we imitate the examples of St. John Baptist de La Salle
Who in all humility, remained faithful and attributed everything to You. AMEN.
St. John Baptist de La Salle. Pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts. Forever. THESIS PROPOSAL "ANTIBACTERIAL PROPERTY OF ALGAL PIGMENT EXTRACTS
(CAULERPA, EUCHEUMA, & SARGASSUM) AGAINST
THE FOUR IMPORTANT FOODBORNE PATHOGENS"
By: Ritz Hendrie C. Hernandez
Adviser: Ms. Olgga Hara
RMet Prof: Dr. Jonathan Rubio GOOD MORNING! INTRODUCTION Background of the Study
Statement of the Problem
Hypotheses of the Study
Scope and Delimitation plants terrestrial plants aquatic plants seaweeds crude extract bioactive components Background of the Study Statement of the Problems algal pigments Chlorophyll Fucoxanthin Phycoerythrin The study aims to answer the following questions: 1. To what extent does each main pigment extract from each seaweed species affect the foodborne pathogens in an antimicrobial assay?
2. Which among the seaweed species presented possess a pigment extract that has the most antimicrobial activity against the foodborne pathogens?
3. Is the combination of the pigment extracts more inhibitory to the foodborne pathogens than the individual extracts? Hypotheses of the Study The pigment extracts will have an effect onto the test organisms but will absolutely carry out no difference at each other. Also, the combined pigments will have the same effects as to those tested individually. Scope and Delimitation This study will only test the algal pigments found in the seaweeds, specifically Caulerpa, Eucheuma and Sargassum, which are available in the coastal waters of Southern Luzon, especially Batangas Province. It will be tested in four bacterial strains, namely E. coli, Salmonella typhimurium, Campylobacter jejuni, and Staphylococcus aureus. Theoretical Framework RELATED LITERATURE Though the use crude extracts and screening of bioactive compounds from macroalgae showed positive results against Gram (-) and Gram (+) bacteria, the use of its pigments as antibacterial agents is not yet recognized. METHODOLOGY Research Design Research Setting Research Procedure What kind of study will I employ? Where will this study take place? How will the study be carried out? 1. Collection of Samples
2. Preparation of Specimen
Extraction of Chlorophyll
Separation of Chlorophyll
Extraction of Fucoxanthin
Purification of Fucoxanthin
Extraction of Phycoerythrin
Purification of Pycoerythrin
3. Preparation and Maintainance of Test Inoculum
4. Antibacterial Assay
5. Data Gathering
6. Statistical Analysis THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS! Seaweeds will be collected by handpicking. Steps in Preparing the Specimen:
wash with seawater
place in a zip bag
wash with sterile water For the Chlorophyll pigment, extraction will be by Acetone Extraction, and the separation of the pigments through Thin Layer Chromatography. For the Fucoxanthin, the extraction will be done by solvent partition method, and for the purification, the CPC that will be confirmed by the HPLC. For the Phycoerythrin, the extraction is done using a mercaptoethanol-Sodium nitrate buffer, and the isolation through gel filtration. The purification will be done by ion-exchange chromatography or hydroxylapatite chromatography. The cultured bacterial strains will be maintained using the Mueller-Hinto broths incubated for 24hrs and adjustment will be made using the McFarland Standard. For the antibacterial
testing of the pigment extracts, the
disk diffusion method will be followed. Kirby - Bauer Method SYNERGISM by
FIC or Fraction Inhibitory Concentration
conc. in the mixture
conc. alone giving the same antibacterial effect TWO WAY ANOVA