Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Training and Development
Transcript of Training and Development
Students will be able to conduct games as a method of training, understanding the advantages and disadvantages associated with the facilitation of training using games as the medium.
10:45 - 10:50 Two Trues and a Lie
10:50 - 10:52 Learning Objectives
10:52 - 11:02 Introduction on games as a training method (What are games? How are they used? Content of Games, Types of Games: Business games/Simulation games)
11:02 - 11:10 Game Simulation
11:10 - 11:13 Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Games
11:13 - 11:15 Debrief (evaluation questions)
Advantages and Disadvantages
What are Games?
Content of Games
> Simulation games are more effective than other instructional methods because simultaneously engage trainees’ affective and cognitive processes
> Generation X and Y’s had a greater retention of knowledge post-game simulation compared to relative generations
> Sitzmann found that her theory was consistent in which post-training self-efficacy was 20% higher, declarative knowledge was 11% higher, procedural knowledge was 14% higher, and retention was 9% higher for trainees taught with simulation games, relative to a comparison group
Types of Games
“People are not content to be 'talked at.' They want to take an active role in their own learning. Games get people involved and clearly enhance their learning”
- Edward Scannell, Director of the Center for Professional development and training.
Learning Outcome Statements for Games
1. Identify the best practices of games by engaging in game simulation.
2. Communicate information how games can contribute to the learning and development of employees and support training practices.
3. Understand the purpose of games to facilitate team building, organizational based problems and contextual scenarios as per differing work environments.
> Actively involves learners
> Can add or regenerate motivation
> Promotes team learning or collaborative skills
> Provides feedback
> Can create a fun learning environment
> Accessible (online games)
> Can create in-group/out-group feelings
> Can demotivate those who are not competitive by nature
> Can create feelings of inadequacy in those not as skilled or forceful
> Can discourage creativity if the format is very rigid and the focus
is strongly on winning
> May put an emphasis on competition than learning or the purpose of the training
Corporations and other organizations around the world are recognizing that games promote cognitive reasoning and information retention.
Games are training methods that involve structured competition which allows trainees to learn specific skills
Two types of Games: Online Simulation and Business Games
Virtual Cold Stone Store
> You will be divided into groups of 5
> Individually, take two minutes to associate each day of the week with a colour
> Come together as a group to explain what colours you came up with for each day and why
> Compare with your group members any similarities or differences
Rich Media Mix
Lots of Practice
Lots of Collaboration
High levels of engagement
Motivation and Visuals
Retention and Participation
Why Use Games?
1) Which theory largely supports the effectiveness of online simulation games?
a) Behavioural Theory
b) Motivational Theory
c) Cognitive Process Theory
d) Interactive cognitive complexity theory
2) Organizations are attempting to measure organizational effectiveness through the use of games? True or False. Please explain why.
3) Which of the following is not an advantage to use games in organizations?
a) Actively Involves Learners
b) Provides Feedback
d) Can create in-group and out-group feelings
4) Business Games and Simulation Games are two popular gaming tactics currently used by organizations? True or False.
5) Which generation has been determined the most effective learners through simulations?
a) Baby Boomers
b) Generation X
c) Generation Y
d) Both B and C
Debrief and Key Points
1. Games are used to creatively engage employees while expanding their capabilities and knowledge, increasing their efficiency and effectiveness as employees, thus increasing the human capital of the organization
2. Two upwardly trending types of games include Online Simulation Games and Business Games
3. Through Tennyson and Jorczak’s research it was discovered that interactive cognitive complexity theory suggests that simulation games are more effective than other instructional methods because they simultaneously engage trainees' affective and cognitive processes (Tennyson & Jorczak, 2008)
4. Advantages: Actively involves learners, Can add or regenerate motivation, Promotes team learning or collaborative skills, Provides feedback, Can create a fun learning environment
easily accessible (online games)
5. Disadvantages: Can create in-group/out-group feelings, Can demotivate those who are not
competitive by nature, Can create feelings of inadequacy in those not as skilled or forceful, Can discourage creativity, May put an emphasis on competition