Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Earths Motion
Is how something moves compared to something else ( e.g. the earths rotation around the sun) Earths Motion 1. Precession
3. Barycenter Precession - The motion of the axis of a spinning body, such as the wobble of a spinning top when an external force is acting on the axis
-Precession of the earth is one of the most important motions of the earth
- the period of precession is about 26,000 years
- The north celestial pole will not alway point towards the same starfield Nutation -In Astronomy terms, it is a small irregularity in precession of the equinoxes
-superimposes a small oscillation, with a period of 18.6 years
- happens b/c the plane of the moon's orbit around the earth is tilted by about 5 (square) from the plane of earths orbit around the sun Barycenter -Center mass of two more bodies usually bodies orbiting around each other, such as the earth and the sun Orbit around Sun Earth rotates around the sun in a slight eliptical.
Since it shot out of the sun at its birth, the earth's movement has gradually slowed. It is caused by the gravitational pull of the the sun and the moon on the earth. The center of mass of the Earth-Moon system, is a point in space about which the Earth and Moon appear to orbit as they travel around the Sun. It is located exactly along the line that connects the center of the Earth with the center of the Moon.The average distance between the centers is 384,405 kilometers. Barycenter of Earth Elipses The earth is at times closer to the sun on its orbital path, and when it gets farther away, it slows down. This causes the general speed of the orbit and rotation to slow and changes the shape of the earth from a slight elipse closer to a perfect sphere. Levels of rotation Local universe > Virgo super cluster> Local group >Milky Way> inner rim of Orion arm> solar system> third planet from sun Kepler's 1st Law Keplers 2nd Law the area swept by earth will be the same in the same period of time. The orbit of a body around another will always have two focal points (foci), one being the larger body, resulting in an eclipse shaped orbit. Kepler's 3rd Law The year of each planet squared divided by the average distance from the sun is the sam value for each planet in the solar system.