Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Transparent Trap
Transcript of The Transparent Trap
University of Atlanta - Hossameldeen Mahmoud The Transparent Trap Research Methodology The researcher has conducted a survey to prove that the latest developments in the glass industry has had a major contribution towards the development of the solar energy industry. Different Solar Energy methods Since Solar energy is “eternal” and it is the origin of other energy sources, it is widely believed to be the ultimate energy solution. How Glass is made: Latest Solar Glass developments Conclusion From all the below research we were able to proof the below Hypothesis :
1. There has been a significant development in the glass industry for photovoltaic applications that created a whole new market segment for glass manufacturers where they can sell some specialized products for a premium.
2. The solar glass new developments have helped enhancing the sales of photovoltaic industry in two ways; (i) increasing the cell output (ii) and through generating a new entrance to the construction and facade industry. Introduction In the human history, there were never such a global scale human-made crisis comparable to what we are facing today “climate change and energy shortage”.
The global average temperature has increased by nearly 0.6 C in the last 100 years, and according to the projection, it will keep rising at a more rapid rate, which has been known as
"The Global Worming".
The oil will be depleted between 2050’s and 2100’s, depending on different parameters used for oil consumption.
2050 alternative energy sources (Solar, geothermal, wind, biomass, nuclear, hydroelectricity and other sources) should be able to support at least 50% of the total energy consumption. By 2100 this share should reach 90%. How the Float Glass Industry adds value to the Solar Energy "Photovoltaic" Industry Solar power is utilized via three approaches:
- Solar Heat which transfers solar energy into heat.
- Solar Thermal Electricity which transfers solar energy to heat and then electricity.
- Solar Electricity which transfer solar energy directly into electricity. Solar Electricity, namely Photovoltaic (PV) solar energy, directly converts sun light into electricity. A Milli-watt Photovoltaic module can be folded in pocket and power a calculator, while a Giga-watt- sized solar plant in a desert is larger than Manhattan and able to supply electricity for a whole city. The role of glass here is to help trapping more light inside the cell to create more energy and so increase efficiency, hence the name of this research “The Transparent Trap”. Types of glass used in the solar energy industry: - Clear Float Glass.
- Low Iron Glass.
- Extra Clear Float Glass.
- Pattern Float Glass. Magnetron Sputter Coating Technology Glass is an amorphous substance made primarily of silica fused with alkaline at a high temperature, Silica was obtained from (sand, quartz and flint) and Alkali was generally from Soda Ash (obtained from burning seaweed) and Potash (obtained from burning brushwood). * 24 hours a day
* 7 days a week
* 365 days a year
For 15 years +
* If left uncut the ribbon
of glass would extend to
20km in a 24 hour period BIPV Building Integrated Photovoltaic PVGU Photovoltaic Glass Unit: BIPV is the photovoltaic materials that are used to replace conventional building materials in parts of the building envelope, it contributes to the "Net Zero Building" Concept. PVGU is a brand new system that harvests solar energy while installed within a glass window. photovoltaic cells are adhered to surface #2 of an insulated glass unit. Sunlight is directed to PV cells that lie perpendicular to the glass panes. Respondents from 12 countries, four continents, the elite of the worlds experienced executives in the field of Glass, Solar energy and Engineering field Questionnaire and results: the below graphs summarizes the responses