Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Parts of a Sentence
Transcript of Parts of a Sentence
October 25, 2012 Parts of a Sentence Complements A word or group of words that COMPLETES the meaning of a verb
Pay close attention to the verb. Is it a linking verb or an action verb? Subject Complements 1. DESCRIBING the subject (predicate adj)
2. RENAMING the subject (predicate nominative) Objects Objects do not rename or describe
Objects take the action so you ONLY find them with action verbs. Direct Objects To find the direct object:
1. Identify the action verb
2. Ask "What?" with the verb Indirect Objects Once you find the direct object, ask "to whom or for whom" to find the indirect object.
The indirect object will NEVER be in a prepositional phrase.
There may not always be an indirect object. Example: Renaming the Subject= Predicate Nominative 1. Example:
Mr. Duncan teaches the class. Direct Objects: 1. Example:
Trey gives his friends cupcakes for his birthday. Indirect Objects: You will be shown four video clips. For each clip, you will be instructed to write sentences describing the clip using what we have learned today. We will pass these up at the end of the class. More Practice: Conclusion. Questions? Complements The boy is a musician. Boy= Subject
musician= complement Word or group of words that complete the meaning of a LINKING VERB by either: 1. Example:
That young man is diligent and intelligent. 1. Describing the subject- Predicate Adjective Subject= Man
Verb= is (linking verb)
Predicate Adjective= Diligent and Intelligent 1. Example:
That young man is a student at our school. Subject=Man
Verb= is (linking verb)
Predicate nominative= student Subject= Mr. Duncan
Verb= teaches (action)
Direct Object= class Subject: Trey
Verb: gives (action)
IO= friends 1. Write one sentence with a predicate nominative. 2. Write a sentence using a predicate adjective. 3. Write one sentence including a direct object. 4. Write a sentence containing both a direct and indirect object. 5. Write a sentence using a predicate adjective.
6. Write a sentence using a predicate nominative. Worksheet 2. Practice: Write a sentence containing a predicate adjective and identify the main parts of the sentence. 2. Practice: Write a sentence containing a predicate nominative and identify the main parts of the sentence. 2. Practice: Write a sentence containing direct object and label the main parts of the sentence. 2. Practice: Write a sentence containing both a direct object and an indirect object. Identify the main parts of the sentence. Workbook pg. 53
Exercise One In addition:
1. box in the verb
2. circle the direct object
3. underline the indirect object