Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Christianity & Abortion
Transcript of Christianity & Abortion
PRO - CHOICE
PRO - LIFE
Describe Christian attitudes toward abortion.
Christians have two differing attitudes to abortion
The Catholic Church teaches that all abortion is wrong whatever the circumstances because:
the removal of a foetus from the womb before it can survive.
Under the present law abortion is allowed up to 24 weeks (of the pregnancy) if:
• Continuing with the pregnancy would pose a risk to the health of the woman.
• The physical health of the woman’s existing children would suffer if a new baby was born.
• If the child were born it would be seriously mentally or physically handicapped.
Life begins at conception. Human life begins when an ovum is fertilised and, as there is no break from conception to birth, abortion is therefore taking life.
The Ten Commandments teach that taking life is wrong, therefore abortion is wrong.
Life is holy and belongs to God; therefore only God has the right to end a pregnancy.
This is referred to as......
Therefore only God has the right to start and end life.
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born. I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. Jeremiah 1:5
However other Christians (mainly Liberal Protestants) believe that abortion is wrong, but it must be permitted in certain circumstances such as:
the mother has been raped
the mother’s life is at risk
the foetus is so handicapped that there would be no quality of life.
You shall not murder
Jesus told Christians to 'love thy neighbour' as themselves. This is stated in the four gospels in the Bible and therefore under certain circumstances in order to relief pain and suffering; abortion may be the most loving thing to do.
Is there another mark in this paragraph?
Some Christians believe life does not begin at conception. It begins when the baby can survive independently and that is only possible once the baby is born. If life can be taken in the Bible according to God's will, so why not before birth?