Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
"A mandala is...an integrated structure organized around a u
Transcript of "A mandala is...an integrated structure organized around a u
sums it up as symbolizing wholeness,
"a cosmic diagram that reminds us of our relation
to the infinite, the world
that extends both beyond and within our bodies and minds."
"A mandala is
structure organized around a unifying center."
It is an emblem of a microcosm of the universe.
Mandalas can be seen in cultures around the globe
—ancient and contemporary—
in nature, architecture, art, alternative medicine and spiritual practices.
City of Presidents...and Poverty
• Seven miles south of Boston
• 16.77 square miles
• Population 89,059
• 27 miles of coastline
• Nearly a dozen beaches for swimming
• Three golf courses
• Extensive park and recreational programs
• Marina Bay, the state’s largest marina
• Large pockets of economic
hardship and poverty
South Shore YMCA Food Pantry & Germantown Neighborhood Center
• enables kids to realize their potential
• prepare teens for college
• offer ways for families to have fun together
• empower people to be healthier in spirit, mind and body
• prepare people for employment
• welcome and embrace newcomers
• help foster a nationwide service ethic
• 35.6% of fiscal budget went to education
• 20 Public schools
• 9,000 prekindergarten through Grade 12 students (1 early childhood center, 12 elementary schools, 5 middle schools and 2 high schools)
• Graduation Rate 89.7%; 70.2% attend college
• Did not meet proficiency targets for lower income students and students with disabilities
over 40% of students were
from low income households
Woodward School for Girls, Eastern
Nazarene College, St. Ann’s School, Quincy Catholic Academy, Mutanafisun Academy
• Quincy Public Schools for adult learners: English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL) and General Education Development. (GED)
• Quincy College (public junior college)
• Eastern Nazarene College (private)
A mandala is used
in this presentation
as a visual representation
of an organized structure in
the city of Quincy.
Like an eco-map, radiant points
are the far-reaching variables
that affect everyday
life in a host of ways.
30.2% lived below
the poverty level
Historical sites (including the Adams family residences) attract more than 250,000 visitors annually
On-going improvements include the multimillion dollar Quincy Center Concourse and $5 million in road/sidewalk improvements
Living with Perception
Regardless of how beautiful my clients' neighborhood is, it is
not as prestigious as
other areas of Quincy.
Some may perceive my clients as "less than" because of the stigma that the area they live in is largely low income and "less than."
Interfaith Social Services
The Pantry Shelf—
serving thousands of hungry South Shore residents annually. One of Greater Boston’s largest food pantries.
homelessness prevention for hundreds of families annually.
The Learning Pantry—
educates food pantry clients about vital life skills.
increases community gardening and supplies food pantries with healthy food.
job candidates with free attire.
Socioeconomic distress plagues many neighborhoods. Long ago the history-changing Adams family fought for the common people, but disparities linger now for scores of folks.
Residents in prime real estate with shoreline and scenic views border neighborhoods where residents are unable to make ends meet.
Total housing units—42,838
Of those, 2,180 are not occupied,
although homelessness is an identified problem
My clients' neighborhood
is a mix of:
single-family homes and public housing, including 900 units operated by the
Quincy Housing Authority.
& MainSpring (FBMS)
• housing • emergency shelter • prevention of homelessness • veteran’s services • workforce development.
In 2012, FBMS helped
• 2,236 households received safe shelter
• 569 households ended homelessness by moving to houses
• helped 144 people secure jobs
• create 25 housing units
• provide over 130 meals a day
Health and Medical
Quincy Medical Center
Manet Health Clinic
(income-based health care/reduced fees/rates for uninsured/sliding scale fees available)
North Quincy Clinic
(sliding scale fees available)
South Cove Community Health Center
(sliding scale fees available)
derived from the ancient language Sanskrit,
to "circle." Yet its meaning
embodies much more
than a shape.
As is true in a mandala design that blossoms around a center point,
the finely spun intricacies of a single human life
are formed by myriad
micro and macro influences.
Access to Routes 93, 128, 3 and 3A
Four Quincy MBTA Red Line Stations
Large Bus Route System
that connects with trains (accessible but sometimes unreliable and time-consuming)
Old Colony Line
High speed commuter boat/water shuttle:
to Boston’s Marriott Long
Wharf and Logan
Looking Through My
Clients' Eyes at Their Own Neighborhood
Scenic, community-oriented, quiet, residential neighborhood located on a peninsula surrounded by a bay on the west and a cove on the east, with a public beach and playgrounds.
How does my agency meet the “client where they’re at?”
• offers transportation
• in-home visits
• numerous services via a multidisciplinary team
• community outreach
• outside referrals
Who are my clients
(the focal system)?
White, unmarried, relatively healthy, young parents,
low income, living without a consistent use of a car.
They are lovely people
trying to make a good life
for their children.
My agency and its relationship
to the community:
• exceptional reputation for providing family-focused interventions
• serves Quincy as well as surrounding communities
• satellite of South Shore Mental Health
• clients participate voluntarily
How much are they affected by societal messages?
Because they are young, White, and heterosexual, they might not be as negatively impacted by societal messages as other non-dominant populations.
It's possible that they “blend in” even though they are privately overcoming myriad issues: substance abuse, DCF involvement, occasional unemployment, mental health concerns, and more.
The physical location is gorgeous but can be isolating. Traveling outside their neighborhood (without regular use of a car) is difficult and dependent upon buses.
It would be time-consuming and challenging to buy necessities like diapers or food, or take a sick child to the pediatrician.
After reviewing the data on the city of Quincy, I might suggest strategies to enhance my clients well-being:
• make a referral for in-home mental health therapy, if needed, to alleviate transportation issues
• recommend a preschool closer to their home for convenience
• discuss services from the neighborhood center for the family (career services, parenting classes, etc.).
How does it compare to my neighborhood?
The neighborhood has a similar density, lower income, more
isolated yet more scenic, and
far from groceries stores,
pharmacies, trains, and
What would it be like to live
Somewhat like my own town, but with a higher rate of poverty in neighborhood pockets.
Some of the neighborhoods and schools have less status.
How my view of my clients and the identified problems has changed based on the data collected.
My agency provides:
developmental, emotional, and behavioral early interventions,
as well as family-centered services for environmental risk factors.
As much or as little of the palette
of services can be utilized.
Goals are set according to my clients' needs and wishes.
"The mandala appears
in all aspects of life:
the celestial circles we call earth, sun, and moon, as well as conceptual circles of friends,
family, and community."
Generalist Social Work Practice
by Miley, O'Melia and DuBois
The Patriot Ledger
An individual or family system can be thought of as being situated at the axis of a mandala, providing a complex, evolving, micro and macro perspective of their world.
Who is outside
their focal system?
• family and extended family
• friends and neighbors
• early intervention
• the economic system
• government agencies
• legal systems
on my clients.
Movement through time:
With psychological, cognitive,
physical and emotional support,
this family has the potential
to become self-supporting.
Changes that could be expected are
employment opportunities to allow the family to sustain themselves, sobriety throughout time, and security and
well-being for the children.
for this family:
The family is benefiting from many services (community and state), and seems to be thriving, despite legal woes, addiction hurdles and employment instability.
On the next map, purple denotes areas estimated to have 299–608 households living below the poverty level in Quincy in 2010.
Aqua: 215–298 below poverty level.
10,000 people work in downtown Quincy.