Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
“EXPLORING THE EFFECTS OF LISTENING TEST TRAINING IN INCREAS
Transcript of “EXPLORING THE EFFECTS OF LISTENING TEST TRAINING IN INCREAS
Statement of Purpose
1. Teaching of strategies.
2. Own process of learning.
3. To consider this area in the English classes.
4. To increase the scores
5. Further research.
General and Specific Objectives
Statement of Problem
To explore the effects of listening test training in increasing scores in the listening part of the PET proficiency test by focusing on the use of listening strategies.
1. To evaluate the effects of Listening test training required for passing the listening part of a Pet test.
2. To make up a full collection of listening exams strategies and introduce them to students.
3. To collect evidence of the results at the beginning and at the end of the EFL listening test training program.
4. To standardize the results of the first evaluation, previous test training, and the results of the last evaluation after the test training.
5. To compare and contrast the results.
6. To analyze the perception of students about the different strategies presented to them.
Seminario de Titulación para optar al
Título de Profesor de Inglés
Licenciado en Educación
Profesor Guía: Mg. Luis G. Vera V.
16 de Mayo, 2014.
There is a wide variety of international English tests in which Chilean EFL students should obtain high scores in order to certificate their competence level. However, there is a
lack of listening test training strategies in actual classroom practice
mainly intended to help second language students interested in taking these international exams.
FL LISTENING COMPREHENSION
Listening Comprehension is a set of elements in which “
the listener must discriminate between sounds, understand vocabulary and grammatical structures, interpret stress and intonation, retain what was gathered in all of the above, and interpret it within the immediate as well as the larger sociocultural context of the utterance”
( Vandergrift, 1999).
is understood as the explicit instruction of how, when and why learners should use foreign language learning strategies in order to improve their outcomes in the language program (Cohen 1998, as cited by Chen, 2007).
“steps taken by students to enhance their own learning” (Oxford, 1990)
Rebecca Oxford Strategy System
Diagram of the strategy system (Oxford, 1990).
Association of sounds and images
Creating structure for input and output
The aim of this strategy is to understand rather than writing down what is been heard
Using linguistic clues
The learner’s L1 linguistic hints such as suffixes, prefixes and word order that can help to understand what is heard
Using other clues
The learner can help himself to understand by using other resources to get the idea of what it is said.
Lowering your anxiety
Using progressive relaxation, deep breathing or meditation
They were carried out at UPLA with freshmen students of English Pedagogy.
Study group and Control group (18-20)
9 sessions of 30 minutes.
Pre-test, Post test and a Perception questionnaire
Students from UPLA English Pedagogy who are trained in how to use listening strategies show an increase on their scores in the listening part of the PET exam.
Getting the idea quickly
Two processes involved:
Skimming and Scanning
EFL listening psycholinguistic models
1. bottom-up: from the specific to the general unit.
2. Top-down: focuses on the Background and general idea.
3. Interactive: combines the two models in an interactive way.
Listening test training
Listening test training is a methodology which consists of a set of techniques intended to improve the performance of students in a proficiency test.
Previous Research on Listening Comprehension
Preparation for further proficiency tests and English tests in general.
Listening strategies can be transfered to other skills.
To teach listening strategies in EFL classrooms.
• It uses a detailed list of topics which are related to the learner’s everyday life
• The listening part consists of 4 sections (25 questions)
• 25% of the test’s mark
• Types of exercises: multiple choice, gap-fill and true/false
• Time: 30 minutes plus 6 minutes to transfer the information.
● Does a nine-session program on explicit instruction on test-taking help increase student’s scores in the listening part of a PET test?
● Is there any significant change between students who were enrolled in a listening test training program and students who were not?
● What are the students’ perceptions towards the instruction of EFL listening strategies?
To find out the appreciation of EFL students about the listening test training and to know if students apply listening strategies in any listening task.
Thanks for your attention!
The instruction of listening strategies is beneficial to EFL students.
Instructions in listening strategies and test training can increase the results of EFL learners.
The test training has positive effects in EFL learning.
Listening test training and listening strategies should be applied in the curricula of the teaching of English in every stage.