Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Power
The Kings Speech
Top 5 Speeches from Film
Language to entertain: Pace, tone, humour.
Individual: Mandela's guidence of a nation.
Sully's heroic actions and impact on anothers life.
Community: Elephants show us that we are stronger as a whole.
HEART: How were your emotions engaged in this clip?
HEAD: What do you intellectually understand from this clip?
HIDDEN: What is the deeper meaning here?
As humans we have the power to evoke change within our world
Power of language
“There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, they pierce your skin, enter your blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic.”
“The limits of my language means the limits of my world.”
Power of the Individual
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.
Power of Society
"There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about."
“Strength lies in differences, not in similarities”
Copy: Power of language.
Language has the power to persuade, convince and even manipulate the reader. Language, when selected and constructed carefully, has considerable power. Our perception as readers is that what is written has been more thought out, more carefully selected, and therefore we give it much more weight — more authority — than the spoken word... "It must be true, I read it in a book!"
1. Identify 5 examples where words have the power to influence people.
2. As a team decide - what makes words powerful? Are all words powerful?
Copy: Power of the individual
Personal power is not how physically strong we feel, but the use of our knowledge, thoughts and feelings influence others.
1. Identify 5 examples of powerful Individuals in our society/history.
2. Look at 'First they came' what is the central idea or message in this poem?
Copy: Power of community.
The power of society/community to band together in shared values/beliefs/ambition to persue their own will in a communal action. Even against the resistance of others.
1. Identify five examples of groups who have worked together to spark change.
2. Does our modern world make it easier or harder for communities to work together?
I have a dream
As you watch:
1. Identify language techniques used - how they shape meaning.
2. How he uses his voice.
Not Giving In
What does this film teach us about power?
Top Battle Speeches from Film