Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
How to Anti-fragile your communication
Transcript of How to Anti-fragile your communication
(how I feel about them)
Incentives: Gain & avoid (mental shortcuts)
Norms: What others do?
Defaults: Easiest choice
Salience: Is it important?
Priming: Knowing this.. (sub-conscious cues)
Affect: Emotions arising
Commitment: Previous choices
Ego: Does it suit me?
If you do not plan communication
it is going to occur in ways and places that do not support your goals.
How to anti-fragile your communication
5 steps of Antifragile Communication
1) From reputation management toward
2) From human resource management toward employee
3) From communication toward
4) From attention gaining to
5) From Strategy-building to cultivating an antifragile
What does this kind of society mean for my school & work?
Organizational communication & PR
Department of Communication
University of Jyväskylä, FIN
@vilmaluo on Twitter
What shapes communication?
(MINDSPACE: Behavioural Economics, Dolan, Hallsworth, Halpern, King & Vlaev, 2010)
How do I make the setting ideal for communication in my school/organization?
* Mere knowledge does not change behavior
Choices & actions have to be practiced to become reality.. habits are easiest formed based on surprise gains.
What unwanted action or behaviour keeps emerging or what desired action does not occur?
1) Listen to people, observe their actions
2) Ask them how you can help?
3) Think through MINDSPACE
4) Match their personal story
5) Praise and reward
In the reputation society and the online environment there is no control over communication.
Wiio’s Laws of Human Communication (1976-78)
1. Communication usually fails – except by chance.
1.1 If communication can fail – it will.
1.2 If communication cannot fail it, nevertheless, usually fails.
1.3 If communication seems to succeed in the way which was intended, it must be in a way which was not intended.
1.4 If you are satisfied that your communication is bound to succeed then the communication is bound to fail.
2. If a message can be understood in different ways, it will be understood in the way which does the most harm.
3. There is always somebody who knows better than you what you meant with your message.
4. The more communication there is the more difficult it is for communication to succeed.
4.1 The more communication there is the more misunderstandings will occur.
5. In mass communication it is not important how things are, the important thing is how things seem to be.
6. The importance of a news item is inversely proportional to the square of distance.
7.The more important the situation is the more probably you forget an essential thing you remembered a moment ago.