Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
punjab de dharti
Transcript of punjab de dharti
Snacks are important because they prevent you from overeating, but are able to get rid of hunger temporarily.
-An Anarkali is also known as a frakh suit.
-It is form fitting around the bust, and then flares out on the bottom like a dress.
-With the anarkali, usually comes a pajami that you tie around the waist with a nala.
-The final piece is the dupatta which is wrapped around their neck or placed on their shoulders.
-Punjabi girls and women wear salwar kameez’s with bright coloured duppattas.
-A salwar kameez is made up of 2 pieces; the kameez’s are known as the top piece, and salwars are known as the bottom piece. A duppatta is a piece of cloth that women wear around their necks or over their heads.
-Salwar kameezs and duppattas come in a variety of colours and designs.
-Punjab is a colorful region in the world that attracts people all around the globe because of its unique style in clothing, music, and food.
-Women in Punjab tradtionally wear shalwar kameezs. It was worn in Afghanistan and Pakistan but then spread to India.
-Men usually wear kurta pajamas, which are suitable for weddings, parties, or any other occations.
-A Punjabi suit forms an essential part of not only the day- to-day wear, but is also appropriate for parties, weddings, festivals and various other occasions.
A glimpse of Punjab
- Backbone of Punjabi culture
- Diverse style of music, ranging from folk and Sufi to classical
- displays the vibrant culture of punjab
- Various type of music depending on occasion
The traditional costume for men in Punjabi is the kurta pajama. The kurta is kind of a loose shirt which is long and straight cut. The pajamas are loose baggy pants, which are tired at the waist.
The kurta pajama is worn daily and for functions such as parties and weddings.
- The more elegant version of kurta pajama is known as the sherwani
-In the olden days, lehenga’s were made of pure silk with heavy patterns and designs. Most of the lehenga had heavy extravagant patterns at the borders, wide laces, and light material in the middle of the lehenga.
-Bridal lehengas are extremely heavy compared to the ones people wear on parties, at home, or other occasions.
-Back in the olden days, men wore chadras as a replacement for wearing pants.
-It was nothing like a kurta pajama. It was a long strand of clothing that men tired around their waists.
-Though the basic roots and basic instruments of the Punjabi folk music is the same as those of Rajasthan, Gujarat, Haryana and other parts of north western India, Punjabi music retains a certain beat and rhythm which is unique to it.
-Influenced by the neighboring country of Pakistan
-As history proves, large number of invaders were greedy for Punjab. They came and brought new tunes of music and thus Punjab became a region in the world which has a diverse style of music
-Punjabi music has turned into a brand new universal music now
(Suhag, ghorian, jaggo,bharat, bhangra
and kusra dance)
-any joyous occasion
(festivals, religious ceremonies, parties)
- Traditional music of Punjab produced using the traditional musical instruments Tumbi, Algoze, Dhadd, Sarangi, Chimta.
-Highly rhythmic and very diverse.
-Wide range of folk songs for every occasion from birth to death including marriage, festivals, fairs and religious ceremonies.
- The folk dhadi genre emphasizes stories of heroism and love stories,for example the numerous ballads of the legendary romantic tales of Hir-Ranjha and Sahiba-Mirza.
- Contemporary Punjabi music is not just enriched by mixing up new tunes and beats of foreign music to Punjabi music but it is extremely enriched by its origin.
-Folk music is altered over time because new dimensions have been added to folk Punjabi music, in order to make Punjabi music an International music.
- chanting hymns with instruments such as the harmonium,tablas, the two-headed mrdanga orpakawaj drum and hand cymbals
- The Sikh tradition of kirtan or Gurmat Sangeet was started by Guru Nanak at Kartarpur in the early 16th century and was strengthened by his successors, particularly Guru Arjan, at Amritsar. In spite of several interruptions, kirtan continued to be performed at the Golden Temple and other historical gurdwaras.
Texts typically cover religious, mythological or social subjects
-Sikhs refer to a hymn or section of the Guru Granth Sahib as a shabad.
- Famous Punjabi singer, despite being a muslim
- Best known for singing a traditional and rare genre of Punjabi music, Kaliyan
-Famous songs: Maa hondi maa, and Tera tilla ton.
- Indian singer, songwriter, choreographer, and actor.
-Considered one of the most notable figures in the world of Punjabi music.
-All his songs have a sufiana touch which appeal to everyone.
-Famous songs; Heer, Boot polishyan, and Challa.
-Punjabi pop singer, composer, lyricist, playback singer and actor.
-Widely famous for his distinctive music and lyrics.
-Famous songs: Mitran di chatree, Gypsy Kali, and Paaki kanak.
- Punjabi singer and actor
-Loved by youth internationally.
-Famous songs: Lakh 28, Proper patola, and Kharku.
-Gurinder Kaur Kainth.
- Punjabi folk vocalist.
-Famous songs: Jhona, Desi jatt, Speaker, and Petrol fukhia.
- There is a very wide variety of Indian dishes which have all been inspired by religious and cultural beliefs.
- Indian food is enjoyed by people all around the world because of the spices and herbs which add addition flavor to the food.
The typical courses consist of snacks, drinks, main dishes, and desserts:
- Some snacks include pakoray, samosay, chaat papri, and aloo tikkis.
- Drinks consist of lassi and chai.
- Main dishes include roti, naans, sholay patooray, daals, and sabji's,
- There are various sweets/desserts, but here are a few: Ludoos, besan, gulab jamuns, rasmalai, custard, and kheer.
Chai is a very vital part of a typical food course. Chai is a very popular drink in India and is rapidly becoming a big deal in the West. It is also good for your health because the spices in the chai are able to alter cancer and strenghten cardiovascular muscles.
Lassi is a yogurt drink which is used as a refreshment for hot weather. It is also rich in Potassium and Calcium
Main dishes: roti, sholay patooray, or naans. Alongside, a type of sabji/daal. The main food is essential because it fills you up.
- masoor de daal
- channa daal
- mahan de daal
- motahn de daal
- moongi de daal
- gobi sabji
- gajahran de sabji
- batohn sabji (eggplant)
- shulgum sabji
Desserts are eaten to finish off a course. After eating food full of spices, you are able to consume something sweet. Some people claim that they eat sweets because 'stressed' spelt backwards is 'desserts'.
Folk song example
SHORT VIDEO CLIP