Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Transcendentalism
What is transcendentalism?
A philosophical, literary and spiritual movement from 1836-1860 in New England
It's the first American Literary movement! (Yay, we define ourselves from Britain, finally!)
to rebel against traditional rules, laws and religion. People are at their best when self-reliant. Institutions are corruptible.
to rebel against predestination. Man is inherently good and has his own will.
to emphasize the importance of the individual
to value nature as a source of inspiration and goodness
Prior to transcendentalists, people saw spirituality in strict, Puritan terms
Transcendentalists believed God was everywhere and in everything
They believed you could experience God through your intuition-- because God is in all people
Man's innate goodness
Individuals that are pure of heart are best able to connect to God through their soul. Such people can see beyond their ego to their soul. The soul is connected to God. God inspires-- man creates if he has his the will. It is man's job to reveal his inner light and connect.
God's relationship to man
They believed you could experience God personally through your own divine inner light
You can transcend your ordinary life and experience God symbolically and spiritually
Emerson, a transcendentalist philosopher writes:
We will walk on our own feet; we will work with our own hands; we will speak our own minds... A nation of men will for the first time exist, because each believes himself inspired by the Divine Soul which also inspires all men.
Comes from in you-- not just through the empirical world. You need to trust yourself.
They believed in
truths-- meaning, knowledge that is independent of experience. It is reasoning that you derive from thinking rather than from observation in the real world.
Think and Write: Select 3 of the 4 to respond independently
1. How are you affected by nature? Do you find comfort in it? What is the role of nature in your life?
2. What is meant by an individual's spiritual side? How do you define it?
Is there a connection between the individual's spirit and nature? If so, what is that connection?
3. What does it mean to know something intuitively? For example, has a parent or a sibling ever known something was wrong with you without having talked with or seen you? What do we mean when we say "I just know it"?
4. How do you demonstrate that you are an individual? Do you think independently of others or do you follow the crowd?
Is this Chipotle commercial an example of modern day Transcendentalism? Justify your answer.
The transcendentalist's backyard