Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Final Project: Natural Resources
Transcript of Final Project: Natural Resources
What is this !?
Let's mine some of it... It's naturally-occurring volcanic glass, this is when natural glass caused by the cooling of molten lava too quickly to become crystallization. It's Obsidian! It looks and feels sharp and shiny. Obsidian is an igneous rock, found near lava. It is a non-renewable resource.
Flow resources are a type of natural resource that can be replenished (can filled up again)
Just in case you have forgotten renewable resources are natural resources that can be produced or grown again in a "short" period of time.
Hello, my name is Steve, and today we will go exploring and have a great adventure.
Our first objective is to find Obsidian, and if you don't know what that is, we'll learn about it after!
Let's take a picture of our first finding!
Yay! We found Obsidian... I wonder what we'll find next? But wait... If there's obsidian, there should be a VOLCANO nearby??? Better be careful...
By: Asian Girls in 7A
NOW IT'S TIME TO TALK ABOUT ANIMALS
What is that, that I hear? Is that a sheep??
We also want to find geothermal energy! It's okay if you don't know what that is, because when I first heard of it, I had no clue, but today we will learn about it!
We will also look for animals too! It is our renewable resource.
Let's take a close up look at this rock...
The obsidian is shiny
The obsidian is rough and sharp.
Obsidian was originally molten magma associated with a volcano that turns into natural black glass.
Obsidian has about 70 percent or more non-crystallized silica which is silicon dioxide. It is similar to granite and rhyolite, which also were originally magma. Because obsidian is not comprised of mineral crystals, technically obsidian is not a true "rock." It is really a congealed liquid with minor amounts of microscopic mineral crystals. Obsidian is usually soft with some roughless of 5 to 5.5 on the mineral hardness scale.
Obsidian rocks are igneous rocks, so that means that form when lava cools quickly above ground.
Obsidian is formed when a volcano is about to erupt an when the molting lava melts it and comes out in to cool air, it turns to a glass looking black rock called obsidian.
It usually looks dark brown, greenish, or black in color, but it can also appear almost colorless. Obsidian has a glassy texture, but may appear foggy from the inclusion of phenocrysts and microcrystals of various sizes, though technically it is not formed of minerals.
For our own human use of obidian, we polish the the rocks surface to make it more smoother. We also saw or cut the rock into smaller pieces.
Picking the obsidian rocks
We polish the rock to make it smooth
They are cutting the obsidian
They can also saw the obsidian
The rock now looks like obsidian
We use obsidian in various ways, but 2 of the ways are.
The second way: This knife's blade is made from obsidian, you can tell because the blade is smooth and shiny, that's what obsidian looks like.
Non-renewable resources are natural resources that can't be produced or grown. It can only be created under quite specific conditons. It takes over billions of years for it to "renew" so practically it's non-renewable.
Animals are natural resources. They come from mother nature. Some people believe that from single-celled ancestors evolved to a riot of complicatedness and difference (animals). There bodies can hold trillions of cells which evolved into mucsles and bones.
Top World Producers
Human produce animals and make them beef and pork. The world's largest sellers that sell beef are India, Brazil (20%), Europe (17%) and the United States (25%). The worlds largest sellers that sell pork are China (54%), Europe (23%), and United States (11%).
How We Obtain Them
We domesticate animals, grow them on farms, and buy them from the store. Domestiation is a process of taming animals then we produce them into food such as pork and beef, or sell merchandise from them such as wool, cotton, and silk.
What Is Geothermal Energy?
Some of us don't know exactly what geothermal energy is, but you'll learn about it in the next few slides.
"Geo" means "from the earth," and "thermal" means "heat," so this type of energy is found under the earth.
Where Do They Come From?
Geothermal energy comes from the centre of the Earth also known as the Inner Core. It goes through the convection cycle. It comes out of volcanos and geyers.
1.US – 3,093 Megawatts
2.Philippines – 1,904 Megawatts
3.Indonesia – 1,197 Megawatts
The top world producers of geothermal energy are:
How Can We Obtain
There is hot water and steam under the Earth's surface and we can access it either directly, through a pump or from a geothermal power plant.
We don't get any products from geothermal energy, because geothermal energy itself, isn't a product, but rather is a source of energy that provides us with electricity.
-It is renewable. Since geothermal energy comes from the heat of the earth, it is considered to be a renewable resource. This means that you can use and reuse it over and over again. In fact, it can be considered as a lifetime energy source since the earth itself is the one that gives off this heat. You can be assured that have a continuous source of energy.
-It is clean. Geothermal energy is classified as one of the clean sources of energy because it does not burn fossil fuel in producing electricity. And since it does not burn fossil fuels, carbon dioxide in the air is greatly reduced.
-High heat source. The energy coming from beneath the earth is really powerful, allowing geothermal plants to generate much electricity.
- Huge startup costs. When trying to build a geothermal plant, there is a great deal of capitalization needed especially at the start. Drilling and testing whether a certain area is suitable for a geothermal plant costs a lot of money.
-Transportation of Geothermal Energy can not be easily transported. Once the tapped energy is extracted, it can be only used in the surrounding areas. Other sources of energy like wood, coal or oil can be transported to residential areas but this is not a case with geothermal energy. Also, there is a fear of toxic substances getting released into the atmosphere.
We eat animals so that we don't starve and we keep them as pets for company. We also get extra protein from eating meat. Using them as resources, killing them to get merchandise. Animals are also used for transportation.
The way that some people raise animals are terrible. They keep the animals in their cages but you might not know that keeping animals (captivating them) in their cages can effect our health too if we eat them. They cannot eat, exercise or form relationships as they are meant to. Some animals get killed for only a small part of their bodies. For example, elephants get killed for their tusks.
THANK YOU FOR COMING ON THIS AMAZING ADVENTURE WITH ME, STEVE!!!
1. Hot water is pumped from deep underground through a well under high pressure.
3. The steam spins a turbine, which is connected to a generator that produces electricity.
5. The cooled water is pumped back into the Earth to begin the process again.
6. The cycle restarts.
THE CYCLE OF
How We Process
Using A Powerplant
2. When the water reaches the surface, the pressure is dropped, which causes the water to turn into steam.
4. The steam cools off in a cooling tower and condenses back to water.
How We Process
Using A Heat Pumps
1. Water or a refrigerant moves through a loop of pipes.
2. When the weather is cold, the water or refrigerant heats up as it travels through the part of the loop that's buried underground.
3. Once it gets back above ground, the warmed water or refrigerant transfers heat into the building.
4. The water or refrigerant cools down after its heat is transferred. It is pumped back underground where it heats up once more, starting the process again.
5. On a hot day, the system can run in reverse. The water or refrigerant cools the building and then is pumped underground where extra heat is transferred to the ground around the pipes
Cycle Of Processing
For your information, refrigerant means to freeze or cool down.
We still need to get out of this maze... let's keep going.
Thanks for watching... and listening! :)
-Duh Asian Girls
Positive And Negatives
Posistive: Obsidian is very strong when used in items.
Con: It takes time and effort to mine Obsidian
WHY ARE WE BEING CAPTIVATED?!
1. Hunt or catch the animal and kill it.
2. Use a sharp knife to gently remove the skin of the dead animal, take special care around the eyes,ears, and nose. Be careful and make sure that it's not ripped.
3. Dip the carcass (dead animal) into a Plaster of Paris solution to make a mold of it. DO NOT COOK OR EAT THE MEAT AFTER PUTTING IT IN PLASTER OF PARIS
4. Take it to a factory and they will clean it and package it and send it to the store!
How we Process Animals