Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Basketball
Basketball is an incredible sport that was invented only 123 years ago!!
It is one of the most popular competitive team sports known today worldwide.
Basketball is a game that involves lots of running and jumping and for this reason it provides a good physical workout.
Playing Basketball can have many
helps burn calories
improves balance and coordination
develops concentration and self-discipline
builds up muscle
helps make new friends
teaches you about being a good player
History of Basketball
In 1891, there was a physical education teacher named James Naismith, working at the YMCA International Training School. Naismith was given 14 days to create or come up with an indoor game that could give athletic distraction to his other students at the Christian School (he was also a Presbyterian minister).
After Naismith had brainstormed some ideas, he decided to use for this purpose a game named duck-on-a-rock. As he introduced the game to his students he began by developing a set of 13 rules that later gave origin to basketball.
From that point, basketball was a created and played for the first time. The game was a total succes and the YMCA rapidly spread its popularity worldwide. In 1936, Basketball became an Olympic Sport in the Games that were held at Berlin.
Did you know?
By: Michelle Akerman & Ines Cabrera
James Naismith's original 13 rules of basketball
When Naismith first introduced basketball, dribbling was not part of the game. Passing the ball was the only way to advance.
Shooting can be simple if you know how to do it.
To shoot you must remember to have your feet seperated from each other like your shoulders so that you have greater stability.
1) Grab the ball with one hand in the back and the other from the side to form a type of base.
2) Lift your elbow up and put your eyes on the place where you want to throw the ball.
3) Bend your knees, stretch your arm, let go of the ball, move your wrist with the ball to give it a spin, and keep your wrist facing down in direction of your target.
What is dribbling?
Dribbling in basketball is a method of advancing the ball by yourself.
To dribble you bounce the ball continuously with one hand while running or walking through the court.
Dribbling allows the movement to be faster and its an opportunity for the other team to steal the ball.
Once a player stops dribbling and holds the ball, they can no longer dribble and have to pass it or shoot.
What are the 4 types of dribbling?
The four types of dribbling are: controlled, defensive, crossover, and in and out.
Passing is a method of moving the ball between players in basketball.
To make the pass more accurate, the player steps forward and follows through with the hands.
The 4 main types of passing are:
Chest pass: consists of the ball going from the passers chest towards the receiver's chest.
Bounce pass: consists on bouncing the ball on the ground before it reaches the receiver. This pass takes longer that the chest pass but is harder to intercept by the receiver making it an effective pass to use when playing against tall people.
Overhead pass: consists on passing the ball over the defenders head. The ball is released over the passers head.
Baseball pass: consists on passing the ball using a lot of strength. This pass is just like in baseball and it's used for longer distances.
Basic Violations & Personal Fouls
3 sec violation: The player can not stay in the key for more than 3 seconds when his/her team is attacking. It does not matter if the player is carrying the ball or not.
Back court: Once the ball has crossed half court when the team is attacking, then the player with the ball can not pass it back or dribble back to their half of the court.
Traveling: A player can not walk or run with the ball in their hands.
Double dribble- Once the player stops the dribbling, they can not start dribbling again
Charge: When a player crashes against another player that was in proper defensive position
Reach-in: When the player taking the ball away from the other player makes physical contact with the player
Shooting: When the player makes physical contact with the player that is shooting
Technical: This foul includes pushing, tripping, verbally offending others, etc.
It is basically a ball protection skill that prepares an offensive move.
The Triple threat forces you to pause for a moment and think of what you want to do next.
It consists in:
1) Trying to pass the ball to teammate.
2) Looking if you have the possibility to throw.
3) Or heading to the basket if it is possible.
While the other team is attacking, we don't want them to make a basket, that is why we use defensive skills.
There are two types of defending:
1) Defending a player that has the ball by standing in front of the player with your knees bent and butt down and extending your arms on both sides by a 90 degree angle. When you are defending a player that does not have the ball you stand next to them with your legs bent and an arm in front of them to block the ball.
2) Defending a player that does not have the ball by standing next to them with your legs bent and arm extended in front of them. This type of defense is used as a way to avoid a player from getting a pass.