Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Taxes
Revenue tariffs: used to raise money, tend to be fairly low
Secretary of Treasury
How Tariffs Work:
$2.50 to produce in Britain
$3.00 to produce in U.S.
Funding at Par
Hamilton's Financial Plan
Dealing with debt after the war: national and states' debt
The National Bank
Funding at par and investor confidence
Taxing the citizens and amount of states' debt
By Van, Rohun, Annie, Tiffany, Marleen, Kelly, and Jacqueline
Protective tariff: used to persuade people to not buy foreign goods, high rates
Revenue Act of 1789
put 8% tax on certain imported goods
intended goals: make consumers buy only american-made products
extra achievements: national government's power to tax people, first tariff that protected many "infant" businesses
Hypothesis: We believe that most of the respondents will react positively to taxes.
1. Are taxes a good or bad thing?
77% answered GOOD
23% answered BAD
2. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you think taxes benefit our society?
The average of our respondents answered 7
3. Do you agree with the way that the government is spending taxes?
25% answered YES
75% answered NO
public services and projects
social security/ retirement
redistribute income to the lower classes
Started in 1794 because of the excise tax on whiskey (part of Hamilton's Financial Plan)
farmers relied on whiskey
group of farmers torched buildings, tarred and feathered revenue officers, chased government officials out of the region and talked about secession
people saw as another Shay's Rebellion
Washington first tried to talk it out but ended up sending 13,000 troops
rebels dispersed when troops arrived but were still able to catch a few
Revenue tariff: used to raise money, tend to have fairly low rates
Hypothesis: We believe that most respondents would respond positively towards taxes.