Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Psychopathic Behavior
What is Psychopathy?
Society and Psychopathic Behavior
Generally society has a fascination as well as fear of them
Blind to acknowledge them (1%)
Literature, both fiction and non-fiction, shows a trend of psychopathic characters (The Lovely Bones & Snakes in suits)
Movies tend to portray them as the charming con artist, the deranged serial killer, the successful corporate psychopath, or the chronic low-level offender with Juvenile delinquency. (Dexter, We need to talk about Kevin & Silence of the Lambs).
Cannot grasp the concept of there being no motive
Cops (thrill), business men in high positions, politicians
Nancy Ebner & Laura Medina
Psychopathy is a disorder in which one endures several types of dysfunctional behaviors, such as; antisocial behavior, a diminished capacity for empathy or remorse, and poor behavioral control.
An individual that shows traits of psychopathic behavior is lacking guilt, remorse and empathy for their actions.
Distinguishable traits of Psychopathy
Proneness to boredom, thus need for stimulation
Lack of realistic long-term goals
Poor behavioral control
Early behavioral issues
Short term martial relationships
Promiscuous sexual behavior
Passing of information between amygdala and ventromedial prefrontal cortex is slow
VPC translates information into negative emotions
Not flustered if caught
How does this relate to "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest?
From all the characters in the story, Nurse Ratched portrays the most psychopathic traits.
Supposed to be the "care-taker"
She shows no empathy, is manipulative and shows superficial charm.
Psychopathy is considered untreatable.
No medications can establish empathy
"Talk therapy" might cause them to become more skilled at manipulating others and more likely to commit crime.
Punishment and behavior modification techniques most likely will not improve the behavior of psychopaths.
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Silence of the Lambs (1991)
a predisposition to psychopathy?
no "psychopath gene"
Study on identical twins
The warrior gene (Monoamine Oxidase A- 3R)
loving environment vs. abusive one
Environment can make or break the psychopathic personality
Dr.James Fallon- neuroscientist
Lack of physical interaction as a baby
Brain scan of Dr.Fallon (right) and son (left)
The VPC and Amygdala
1. Choi, C. (Augustu 31, 2009). What makes a Psychopath? Answers Remain Elusive. In livescience. Retrieved August 25, 2013, from http://www.livescience.com/7859-psychopath-answers-remain-elusive.html.
2. Hagerty, B. (June 29, 2010). A Neuroscientist Uncovers a Dark Secret. In NPR. Retrieved August 25, 2013, from http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976.
Ryan, C. (September 18, 2003). What makes a Psychopath?. In BBC. Retrieved August 25, 2013, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3116662.stm.
3. Simon, G. (August 24, 2012). Is Psychopathy Genetic?. In Dr.George Simon's Dealing with Manipulative People. Retrieved August 25, 2013, from http://www.manipulative-people.com/is-psychopathy-genetic/.
4. Waugh, R. (November 23, 2011). Psychopaths aren't just mentally different- their brains are physically deformed to prevent them from feeling fear or guilt. In Mail Online: Science Tech. Retrieved August 25, 2013, from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2065161/Psychopaths-arent-just
5. undefined. (undefined). Phineas Gage. In Wikipedia. Retrieved August 25, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage.’
6. undefined. (undefined). Psychopathy. In Wikipedia. Retrieved August 25th, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy.