Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Deontology
1) The Despairing Man Scenario
Act only on that maxim which you can at the same time wish to become a universal law
(or law of nature)
Ends vs. Means
1724 - 1804. German. One of the most influential thinkers ever.
Utilitarianism focuses solely on the Ends
Deontology focuses solely on the means
2) Loan Taker, Promise Maker
3) Talented, but lazy
4) Can't be bothered
Any time that you need to make a moral decision
means there is a problem to be solved.
Goal or purpose
Actions that get you
to the end
Intrinsic vs Instrumental
Natural philosophy tries to understand the way things are.
Moral philosophy tries to understand the way things should be.