Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of WKU Presentation
Each person has intrinsic value;
Each person has the capacity to learn;
Each person has the capacity to be successful;
Each person is responsible for his/her own decisions;
Each person influences environments, environments influence each person. Questions? Mission Development Awareness Resources WTF? Events Shantytown MAC the vote Big Red's Blitz M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan Perry
- Thinking for ones self
- Positions Chickering
- Developmental Context
- Vectors Language Green Campus Curriculum My Role as a CHRL Create supportive communities fostering student learning, development, and academic success g Create an environment conducive to student learning Serve as a role model Plan educational and social programs using a residential curriculum model Promote and raise awareness about social justice References How can we help students? Do not dismiss their experiences Encourage and support coalitions and networks amongst identity Know campus climate and challenges underrepresented students are facing Thank you for your time! Truth Trivia, University of Arizona. (2010). Retrieved March 26, 2013 from https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:O43i1FU5JnEJ:www.life.arizona.edu/ docs/social-justice/truth-trivia-quiz-showfinal.pptx+trivia+truth+arizona+university&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjCgFgWwRTA7vtaEZ2Ht57 aVouhmxha3jP9iPSF4UOZMr7c8BqGVKU5pyVdJsYSUgIHfphzuTXC3iSRZ9vyTl3NhL2oCBLlH-hHJeNO12jN3QCYiPI08LZisRUoOQ9pksAep3RU&sig=AHIEtbT2Iv2 MwcCoR1XQPHHoILdW2N8lPQ 82% 160 points 90 points 100 points 20 points 220 points A Princeton study of elite universities in the U.S. found that legacy applicants—people, usually white and wealthy, with a parent or grandparent who attended the institution—are far more privileged by legacy status than applicants of color are by affirmative action policies. The study determined that legacy status was roughly equivalent to how much of a boost to an applicant’s SAT score? $70,000 and $68,000, respectively $60,000 and $62,000, respectively $80,000 and $80,000 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the median annual income for U.S. white men, 25 years or older, who have earned graduate degrees, is $80,000. What are the median annual incomes for Latina and Native American women, 25 years or older, who have earned graduate degrees? 52% 32% 12% 72% 82% According to a study by the American Association of Physicians for Human Rights, what percentage of physicians report witnessing a colleague giving reduced care or refusing care to lesbian, gay, or bisexual patients? 40% 0% 60% 20% 9% According to the National Center for Education Statistics, what is the percentage of U.S. schools with no teachers of color on staff? 84.5% 37.8% 63.2% 77.9% 15.1% What percentage of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender high school students report that their teachers “never” or “rarely” respond to homophobic remarks made by other students, according to a national study by GLSEN? Four times as likely Equally likely Six times as likely Twice as likely Half as likely Compared with White women, how likely are African American women in the U.S. to die during childbirth due to a lack of access to prenatal care, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality? Truth Trivia $25,000 and $50,000, respectively $50,000 and $40,000, respectively Valuing diversity Challenging injustice Inclusion Safe and Welcome (benefits and advantages only readily available to certain groups) About HRL, Western Kentucky University. (2013). Retrieved March 26, 2013 from http://www.wku.edu/housing/contact_us/about_hrl.php Chickering, A. W., & Reisser, L. (1993). The seven vectors. In Education and identity (2nd ed., pp. 34-52). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. Coordinator Position, Western Kentucky University. (2013). Retrieved March 26, 2013 from http://www.wku.edu/housing/employment/coordinator.php Events, Western Kentucky University. (2013). Retrieved March 26, 2013 from http://www.wku.edu/ housing/events/ Kohlberg, L. (1984). Moral stages and moralization: The cognitive-developmental approach. In Psychology and moral development
(Vol. 2, pp. 170-205). San Francisco: Harper Row. Love Alliance. “What is Social Justice.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 13 June, 2010. Web. 26 March 2013. Lozon, H. & Rico Uhrig, J. Microaggressions & Our Students. US/PCC Symposium 2012. Retrieved March 26, 2013 from http://advising. arizona.edu/sites/default/files/Microaggressions%20and%20Our% 20Students%20-%20Advising_0.pdf Perry, W. G. (1981). Cognitive and ethical growth: The making of meaning. In A. W. Chickering, & Associates (Eds.), The modern American college (pp. 76-116). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.