Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
MGMT2002 Interpersonal Communication
Transcript of MGMT2002 Interpersonal Communication
Interpersonal Communication & Perception
By Anna Sway Tin, Shanata Amaris, and Jamie Ross-Smith
ICON International Communications
"One of the region’s most successful
and fastest-growing start-up firms"
- Business Review Weekly (2005)
Interpersonal Communication Issues
New manager at ICON's Sydney office
Experienced, skilful and knowledgeable in PR
Refuses to listen to alternative suggestions
Bad interpersonal skills
ICON strives on the concept of collaboration.
ICON’s Core Business Values
Poor relationships with clients
Importance of Interpersonal Communication
for issue #1
#3 Share information on how to best listen out for the client's needs and wants
Rec #1: Setting Up a Workshop
Benefits for ICON?
1. Day-to-day activities
2. Interacting with others in the team
3. Interacting with clients
4. Whether clients have been seen to be more satisfied after the workshop has been implemented
Rec #2: Post-Workshop Audit
Constructing a workshop! Train members of the team at ICON how to actively listen, and to be aware of and be able to interchange between listening skills!
Recommendation: to improve business-Client relationship
(Villaume & Bodie, 2007)
How is it important?
Giving full attention to the speaker, and listening to the details of the conversation
Be able to distinguish between fact and opinion, and be able to analyse them
May be facilitated if one has the ability to pick up on surrounding cues, or non-verbal cues
What does “listening” involve?
The Art of Listening Accurately
The ability to perceive, control and adjust the emotions of ourselves and others
- Misalignment between individual’s and firm’s objectives
- Due to information opacity and lack of formal training
Cause #5: Unconscious Incompetence
- Ambiguous: Responsibility, roles, authority
- Exacerbates emotional symptoms induced by feelings of dissatisfaction
Cause #4: Expectations & Belonging
- Largely induced by confusion
- Creates negative emotional response
External locus of control
Commitment to team and work ethic
Cause #3: Dissatisfaction
- Vital to team unity and performance
- Teams are largely interdependent
Manager is setting a poor precedent
Unwilling to collaborate
- Disconnect between the manager and the subordinates
Cause #1 TRUST
The Root Causes of Poor Communication
(S. Dryer, 2006)
How can we account for these fundamental causes for ICON’s communication problems?
Recommendation:Accounting for the Causes
- Working towards a common goal is fundamental to a team’s success
- Lack of information transparency
- Manager’s inability to engage subordinates and accept input
Cause #2: Confusion
Effective listening builds trust and encourages cooperation
By having a conscious effort to listen and having genuine interest in the speaker, it can encourage reciprocal listening
May decrease the likelihood of misunderstanding between parties
Crucial to ICON especially, since their core business value is to work in collaboration with their clients
#1 Conduct a Listening Style Profiling
#2 Participate in activities where they would have to practice different types of listening skills
There are 5 key factors affecting internal communication at ICON:
EXPECTATIONS & BELONGING
Less concerned with others' perceptions
Less likely to actively develop relationships
This has lead to two main issues:
Poor relationships between colleagues within his division
AXON Consulting Group
"It's how you connect"
Did you know?
Albert Einstein’s IQ was estimated at 160, Madonna’s is 140, and John F. Kennedy’s was only 119?
People would rather do business with a person they like and trust rather than someone they don’t, even if the likeable person is offering a lower quality product or service at a higher price.
Advantages of having good interpersonal skills
Ability to manage conflict
Attract quality employees
Capacity to maintain good relationships
Produce better results
Understanding of other people
Benefits of attending this Interpersonal Skills Workshop:
Our mission is to deliver high quality business communication training through a clear understanding of the business client's needs and wants. We value effective communicators and the continuous development and learning of our employees.
The relationship between emotional intelligence and work attitudes, behavior and outcomes: An examination among senior managers - Abraham Carmeli, Journal of Managerial Psychology
"Emotional intelligence augments positive work attitudes, altruistic behavior and work outcomes"
ICON manager has a low EQ
Emotional Intelligence is negatively correlated to task-oriented decision making
Extroverted & Low agreeableness
(1) How would you think their personality affects the way they listen?
(2) If they don't seem to be listening, how
would you go about solving this problem?
How can personality types affect the way we communicate?
* About our consulting company
* The importance of interpersonal com.
Overview of the client company
* About ICON Communications Int.
* ICON's Core Values
* ICON's communication issues
* Listening styles & how it benefits ICON
* Recommendation (workshop)
* Linking personality to communication
* Root Causes of Poor Communication
* Recommendation (EQ & Self-monitoring)
The ability to manage, lead and influence more effectively
Self awareness and personal growth
Different to other PR firms, ICON works closely to the client in order to produce the best end product.
ICON immerses themselves with the clients’ business, and gains a deeper understanding of the objectives, strategies, opportunities, and challenges of the client’s company.
This makes the company unique.
How are we to complete our tasks according to the client’s wants and needs, if we are not able to listen?
Issue #1: Business-Client Relationship
Issue #2: INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
How can we function efficiently as a team, if our internal communication mechanisms are flawed?
According to Nobel Prize winning Israeli-American psychologist, Daniel Kahneman:
Introverted & High agreeableness
Increase information transparency
Abate barriers to communication
Address the self-monitoring concerns
Periodical Emotional Intelligence tests
Indicates individual's areas for improvement
Discuss and practice listening styles
Gauge the implementation of listening techniques
Increase information flow, decrease communication barriers
A means for indicating areas in need of improvement
" It's the way you connect!"