Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Digital Age
Transcript of The Digital Age
Have Changed Alexander Pope (1688–1744)
An Essay on Man Literature In the Digital Age By Aubrey Freisinger
and Michael Long What we Lose * Insight on the author's thoughts. Changes in words, direction, structure, etc.
* The process of writing. Letters, drafts, and notes.
* A physically visible history (The Morgan Library & Museum). * Typed, not written.
* Easier to edit (Spell check, auto correct, synonyms, etc.)
* Accessible and sharable. In 2011, 35.1% of books (not including magazines, articles, etc.) bought in the United States were sold
online. The percentage of books bought online is estimated to increase for 2013. In 2012, 43.8% of books were bought online versus 31.6% sold in stores. In 2012, went from 35.1% to 43.8% of books people bought were sold online. Almost 30% of all books purchased were ebooks in 2012, a huge
increase in sales from previous years. An online book store.
Look at book descriptions, and make purchases.
Best sellers include fiction, health, erotica, romance, and sci-fi fantasy. A study done by The New York Times showed that people on vacation are more likely to read a book bought online than buying and reading one from a store. Internet gives easy access and it's often cheaper. Does this mean more people
read now? In 2012, 21% of American adults said they had read an e-book that year (an increase from 17% in 2011). The average reader of e-books read 24 books in 2012. Over half of Americans have visited a library in the past year. 62% of libraries now offer free internet and computer access and 76% offer a selection of e-books.
Some libraries are considering making apps, offering more books online, and using social media to get more patrons. Publishing Authors to get noticed use:
* Media Attention
* Success via Online
- such as Lisa Genova * Wasn't able to get her novel, Still Alice, published.
* Uploaded it to iUniverse, a site which publishes works online.
* Recognized by Barnes and Noble, made into a Discover Picks.
* Now translated in 25 languages. Plagiarism Lots of Information "With an unprecedented amount of available text, our problem is not needing to write more of it; instead, we must learn to negotiate the vast quantity that exists." - Kenneth Goldsmith
* The Digital Age offers us almost unlimited information.
* Is this a good thing? They suggest that the Digital Age is reshaping the everyday individual, allowing them to gain the ability to advance in their life through education and information A postmodern science fiction genre.
Technology (networked computers) dominate every aspect of life.
Multinational corporations replace governments (political, economic, military). What is E-book? How To: "Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body." Lawrence Person * With the Digital Age, information has become readily available
* Copy and Pasting information is as easy as ever. Attention * Evidence of shorter attention spans.
* Inability to follow, process, and
* Books have begun to become harder to
relate to. When was. . .
Leonardo Da Vinci born? What is. . .
the shape of the pupil in an octopus eye? What is. . .
a pchick? April 15th, 1452 A Rectangle (Square)! A movement So. . . What Did This Activity Show? There is a lot of arbitrary information out there, and it's easy to find!
However there is a con to this. . . Activity! What does. . .
the word tchick mean or represent? The sound made by pressing the tongue against the roof of the mouth and quickly pulling back Bruce Bethke * The term Cyberpunk came from the title of
his short story.
* Won the Phillip K. Dick award for his novel, Headcrash The Matrix * Cyberpunk film produced by Andy and Lana Wachowski.
* Features a world in which a race of A.I computers had taken over the Earth and enslaved humankind, putting them in a virtual world known as the Matrix.
*Reflects the common theme of the Cyberpunk genre, as it features a distant future in which robotics and computers are the focus. * From 1970s to Present day
*Accelerated by the invention of the Internet in the 1990s The Digital Age Neuromancer - William Gibson * 1984
* Henry Case, an unemployed, suicidal, crippled, drug addicted, talented hacker in dystopian underworld of Chiba City, Japan.
* AI controls his life.
* Is rewarded and cured.
* Epilogue: Case is saving
money to buy organs to
restart his drug use. * First Sci-fi novel to win the Triple Crown.
* Legitimized cyberpunk as a branch of sci-fi literature.
* Fear and inevitability of technology. Cyberpunk Subculture (1) Hackers, Crackers, and Phreakers
"We the Cypherpunks are dedicated to building anonymous systems. We are defending our privacy with cryptography, with anonymous mail forwarding systems, with digital signatures, and with electronic money."
- Eric Hughes in "CypherPunks Manifesto"
"In the world today, looking slick and smooth is everything."