Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Galaxies
inbetween the galaxies
-very low densities
-filled with dust and gas
Types of Galaxies
There are four types of galaxies:
what are galaxies?
systems of millions or billions of stars, gas, dust and interstellar material held together by gravity
By Kendall Sneyd
and Eva Maksymiw
M74 or NGC-628
Andromeda or M31
Barred Spiral Galaxy
- From afar, these galaxies look like
-The central bulge is composed of red
-The spiral arms are made of gas, dust and young stars
-These galaxies are a subclass of spiral galaxies.
-They share a similar appearance, however, barred spiral galaxies have a central bar.
- From the ends of the bars trail the spiral arms.
-Lenticular galaxies are thought to be very old spiral galaxies
-They have a central bulge but no spiral arms
-These galaxies are comprised of very old red stars.
-Irregular galaxies do not have clear shapes.
-They are made of more gas, dust and stars than galaxies with definite shapes.
-These galaxies do not have nuclei.
-Make up atleast 10% of all galaxies.
-100 million to 10 billion stars
-More than half of all galaxies are elliptical
-These galaxies are older, contain few young stars
-Little gas or dust
-round and flat or spherical
Barred Spiral Galaxy
-Distance not time
1 light year
= 9 500 000 000 km
The Milky Way
- Typical Barred Spiral Galaxy
-Contains up to 400 billion stars
-Most difficult to study
-there is more dark matter in the universe than all the stars, planets gas and dust combined
-we still don't know what exactly dark matter is
- is the centre of a galaxy
- small and very bright
- goes around the galaxy
-made up of dust and gas
- contains little gas, dust or star formation