Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Mini writing lesson - Introductions and Conclusions
Transcript of Mini writing lesson - Introductions and Conclusions
- An essay map
- A thesis statement
- Your point of view - A general statement about the subject
- Beginning to focus onto the topic
- Becoming more specific
- Specific thesis statement What should an Introduction do? An introduction must:
- Alert a reader’s interest
- Act as a navigation guide to its reader
- Show the reader how you the author is interpreting the question
- Provide a context for the main issue
- Indicate the focus of the paper - Give one or two examples of the kind of thing you are going to write about
- Give unusual or colorful details
- Begin with a relevant quotation
- Begin with a question (which can be answered in the essay's conclusion) How to make your introduction interesting What should a conclusion do? - Be a logical ending to what has been previously been discussed. It must pull together all of the parts of your argument and refer the reader back to the focus you have outlined in your introduction and to the central topic. This gives your essay a sense of unity.
never contain any new information.
- Be only a paragraph in length, but in an extended essay (3000+ words) it may be better to have two or three paragraphs to pull together the different parts of the essay.
- Add to the overall quality and impact of the essay. This is your final statement about this topic; thus it can make a great impact on the reader. The Content of a conclusion - A summary of the arguments presented in the body and how these relate to the essay question
- A restatement of the main point of view presented in the introduction in response to the topic
- The implications of this view or what might happen as a result. Structure of a conclusion - Link to previous paragraph
- Brief summary
- Identify main reasons/causes/factors
- Reinforce the thesis statement (see Introductions)
- Broad implications of this view OR future relevance of topic and thesis A Bad Introduction... A Good Introduction... "The role of women has changed over the centuries, and it has also differed from civilization to civilization. Some societies have treated women much like property, while others have allowed women to have great influence and power." "The role of women in Western society has changed dramatically over the centuries, from the repression of ancient Greece to the relative freedom of women living in Medieval France. The treatment of women has also differed from civilization to civilization, even at the same period in history. Some societies such as Islamic ones have treated women much like property while others, like ancient Egypt, have allowed women to have great influence and power. This paper will trace the development of women's rights and powers from ancient Egypt to late medieval France and explore their changing political, social and economic situation through time. All the various means women have used to assert themselves show the different ways they have fought against repression and established themselves in authority." Sources http://www.canberra.edu.au/studyskills/writing/introductions
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/724/01/ A Bad Conclusion...
Immigrants have contributed to the United States. There are many instances through which this is shown. Immigrants bring something new to our country so America is a nation of immigrants.