Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Language
working class homes is
inadequate and deficient'' Beneiter
and Engleman Restricted Code Bernstein:
Language Codes Used by the working class
Restricted Code Used by the middle class Elaborated Code Elaborated Code & Limited vocabulary Short, often unfinished sentences Descriptive Speaker assumes the listener will understand Wider vocabulary Longer, more complex sentences Can explain more abstract ideas
- detail/reasoning Analytical AO2 Speech codes affect children's
performance in school. Those who come from middle and upper class backgrounds will have grown up using the elaborated code at home, therefore once they start school they will then be able to understand more clearly and perform better, further developing their skills using the elaborated code. Schools will use the elaborated code in both textbooks and teaching. Middle class children have the advantage at home of hearing the elaborated code growing up, therefore they will find it easier to adapt to it and develop it themselves. Whereas working class children
tend to grow up hearing the
restricted code,this then limits
them at school because they
may find it harder to understand
and build on their education. Sociologists