Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Giver Literary Devices
Transcript of The Giver Literary Devices
Light eyes in The Giver symbolizes depth and the ability to see beyond. The Giver has light eyes and so does Jonas and they both can receive memories. It also symbolizes separation from the community.
Examples of foreshadowing in The Giver are:
Jonas feels apprehensive about the upcoming Ceremony of Twelve
- He might be assigned a special role.
The apple, faces and Fiona's hair
- Jonas can see things others in the community cannot.
When Lily points out Jonas's and Gabe's light eyes
- Jonas and Gabe both have something that seperates them from the community.
Precision of speech
- They use the word "release" so much but they don't know what it actually stands for.
When his close friend Fiona, is trained for the "Fine Art of Release"
Sharing of feelings
- Jonas's family share their feelings every night but only the Giver and Jonas have true feelings
"Its like going downhill through deep snow on a sled" - The Giver describing the transmitting of memories.
...and he could see them gather on the backs of his hands, like cold fur. - Jonas describing snow.
"Its like a computer" -Jonas telling the giver how the brain works
Figurative language cont.
Squinting toward the sky, he had seen the sleek jet, almost a
blur at its high speed, go past, and a second later heard the blast of
sound that followed - The jet that Jonas saw
"That's right," Lily said."Like animals." - Lily describing the boy at the playground.