Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
THE EFFECTIVENESS OF
Transcript of THE EFFECTIVENESS OF
PANDAN ( Pandanus Amaryllifolius, Roxb)
KILLER USING SPRAYING METHOD
Langkaan II National High School
This study will test the effect of pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius, Roxb) leaves extract on mosquitoes. The researcher used the materials because of some proven related studies. The researcher started conducting this research last September 2013. This study used the following materials and specimen.
> 25 pieces of Pandan
> 40 mosquitoes
> 70% Ethanol ( Ethyl Alcohol)
> 4 test tubes
> 50mL graduated cylinder
> 45 spray bottles
> 4 mosquitoes cages ( 15cm x 15cm x 15cm )
This experiment used three treatments. Different concentrations (50 %,75% and 100% ) of the plant leaf material have been prepared by mixing 5 mL, 7.5 mL and 10 mL of pandan leaves extract with 70% ethyl alcohol (water soluble solvent) , respectively and 10 mL of commercial product was used as positive control. The extract was sprayed with pandan leaves extract with 50 % concentration in Group A, 75% in Group B, 100% in Group C and Group D with commercial product as positive control and mosquitoes killed were counted every 5 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.
The researcher concluded that there is a significant difference between the pandan leaves extract and the positive control, Commercial Product.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will be conducted to determine the effectiveness of pandan leaves as mosquito killer. It will help people to extinguish mosquitoes that could destroy people daily routines by spending less amount of money. Specifically, this will bring benefits to the following:
The results of the study would provide the government a new way in lessening the number of mosquitoes in the community. And will help augment the income of the community by making earth friendly and inexpensive mosquito killer. The materials that will be used are recycled and organic in which their availability is easily utilized and therefore they will spend less amount of money in treatment for the abundance of mosquitoes in the society.
This study could raise the awareness level of residents in our country because health awareness is the prime investment. The results of the study would make the parents realize and understand more about pandan leaves as mosquito killer. It may lead to some useful change in best practice because it could lessen the population of mosquitoes at every house. Prevention could be done to avoid more serious damage to their children’s health. By encouraging their children, they would be able to foresee the importance of being resourceful of the things in our surroundings.
The results of the study would serve as the basis/ reference for the researchers and it will give them the opportunity to conduct further studies.
STATEMENT OF THE
This study was conducted in order to determine the effectiveness of pandan pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius, Roxb) leaves extract as mosquito killer using spraying method. Specifically it aimed to:
1. Describe the trend of mortality rate from 5 min. to 20 min.application of the extract
2. Determine the effectiveness of pandan leaves extract using four cages treated with different concentrations of pandan leaves extract and with Commercial Product (positive control) against mosquitoes in terms of number of mosquitoes killed.
3. Compare the different concentrations of pandan leaves extract with the Commercial Product.
SCOPE AND DELIMINATION
This study focused on the collection, preparation of the mosquito samples and plant material, the pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius, Roxb) leaves, and to determine the effectiveness of pandan leaves as mosquito killer. The plant extraction procedure done for pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius, Roxb) leaves was through steam distillation technique by which varying concentration have been derived such as 50 %, 75 % and 100%.
The extraction method was performed in Langkaan II National High School Science Laboratory Room and researcher’s house. Three treatments were performed in the study. These were varying concentrations (50%, 75% and 100%) of pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius, Roxb) leaves extract and commercial product (positive control). The varying concentrations of pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius, Roxb) leaves extract was prepared by mixing 5 mL, 7.50 mL and 10 mL with 70% ethyl alcohol (water soluble solvent)in order to obtain 50%, 75% and 100% concentration, respectively.
The study used adult mosquito from mosquito larvae collected after 7-10 days breeding. Investigating the performance of these will be described by observation of four (4) cages (size; 15 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm) with 10 mosquitoes put in each of the cage. The number of mortality of mosquito was counted after the leaf extract has been applied through spray method every 5 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.The study was performed from September 2013 to August 2014.
Based on the above findings, the following conclusions were drawn:
1. Varying concentration of pandan leaves extract on the mortality rate of mosquito showed that the highest mortality rate obtained was that of the control (Commercial Product) which has 10 deaths or 100% followed by the 100% concentration of pandan leaves extract which has been observed at 50% concentration of pandan leaves extract which has 3 deaths or 30%.
2. The positive control, Commercial Products and different concentrations of pandan leaves extract provide an increasing mortality rate at 15 minutes after application.
3. There is a significant difference between a pandan leaves extract and a positive control, commercial product against mosquitos.