Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Hurricane Katrina
Background on Katrina
Who Is Supposed to Respond?
What is Supposed to Happen?
"The Select Committee identified failures at all levels of government that significantly undermined and detracted from the heroic efforts of ﬁrst responders, private individuals and organizations, faith-based groups, and others."
"The Select Committee believes Katrina was primarily a failure of initiative."
"The failure of local, state, and federal governments to respond more effectively to Katrina — which had been predicted in theory for many years, and forecast with startling accuracy for ﬁve days — demonstrates that whatever improvements have been made to our capacity to respond to natural or man-made disasters, four and half years after 9/11, we are still not fully prepared. Local ﬁrst responders were largely overwhelmed and unable to perform their duties, and the National Response Plan did not adequately provide a way for federal assets to quickly supplement or, if necessary, supplant ﬁrst responders."