Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Education: The Personal Is Political
Transcript of Education: The Personal Is Political
- Whose knowledge and ways of knowing are
considered legitimate or "official"?
- What is the relationship between inner world of
schools and the larger society?
- How is power constituted and how do we think
about it? Relational Analysis [The questions] "demands a detailed and complex understanding of th relationship among the economy, politics, and culture, and an equally detailed understanding of the social movements and groups constitute in society" (Apple 4). What are the Defining Moments? - Socially?
- Culturally? Macro Micro - Community?
- Individually? C.W. Mills' Sociological Imagination History/ Institutions Biography Personal
Issues The Roots of Relational Analysis It is important to remember the "real problem, [is] how we think about something makes a considerable difference in how we act" (9). Category Errors Hurricane Katrina 1. Race
3. City Planning
5. Government Relational Analysis "That is, the institutions and events of our daily lives need to be understood not in an isolated way--separate from the relations of domination and exploitation of the larger society--but in ways that stress their interconnections with these relations" (10). Critical Research First, the curriculum is itself part of what has been called a selective tradition (11).
- Knowledge is selected from a
- Polyverse "Second, the political structuring is not only seen at the level of content. It is also visible in the ways in which the curriculum is organized and evaluated" (11). "Curricular form represents the social and cultural glue, the ways of being in the world, of particular classes and class factions and of dominant race and gender relations" (ibid). "Third, the politics of education is visible in the relationship between schooling as a set of institutions and the social, sexual, and racial divisions of paid and unpaid labor" (11) "Essentializing Categories of race, class, gender, to include sexuality, 'ability,' age, nation, bodily politics, and so on--each of which is in constant interaction with the others" (12).