Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
History 700 Public History Overview
Transcript of History 700 Public History Overview
Origins of public history
What is history?
Why is it important?
What are its public purposes and why should it be publicly supported?
How do people encounter & use history?
How can historians engage the world?
Preservation & memorialization
Museums (including science)
National Park Service
1930s legislation & programs
1970s job crisis
Why think about public history?
What IS public history?
A field of study.
A mediating role.
Diverse arenas of practice.
Private & public historic sites
Historic preservation / cultural resource management
Libraries & archives
The digital realm
to public history
National Council on Public History
Internships & jobs
Practicality -- changing academy & employment
Essential questions of our profession
59.6%: T/TT faculty
BRP & NPS work
Contact me anytime:
UNC PhD '97
Super-Scenic Motorway: A Blue Ridge Parkway History
International Federation of Public History
Joys of Public History
Challenges of Public History
Or, a lot of serendipity . . .