Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

What changed after the Titanic sank?

No description
by

on 30 September 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of What changed after the Titanic sank?

What changed after the Titanic sank?
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed.
designed by Péter Puklus for Prezi
Changes
-Ships now require enough lifeboats on board
-Emergency drills are required
-The International Ice Patrol (IIP) was created
-24-hour radio watch
-Shipping lanes take a more southern route
-Stronger hull material
-New distress signals
-Steamships are required to have searchlights
Enough Lifeboats

In the Titanic disaster of 1912,about 70% of the 2,223 people on board didn't survive because there weren't enough lifeboats.The other 30% were lucky to get on one.
The creation of the International Ice Patrol (IIP)
When the Titanic struck the iceberg, the Titanic received 7 iceberg warnings on April 12th, 1912. Captain Smith didn't really take precautions, all he did was tell the lookouts to keep a sharp lookout for icebergs that night.
Shipping lanes were shifted south
Since that has happened,it is required to have enough lifeboats for everyone on board.
Emergency Drills
When the Titanic was sinking, the ship officers were so overwhelmed and they didn't really know what to do.There weren't any emergency plans for this kind of accident and nothing was really organized. Some lifeboats weren't even filled up completely.
Now it is required to have lifeboat drills where they explain how to put on a life jacket, the procedure/system in case of an emergency and etc.
There wasn't an official ice patrol before, but now the IIP is an official company and there haven't been any iceberg crashes since.
The reason there were icebergs near the Titanic was because it was in the northern Atlantic where it was cold and icebergs were common. If the Titanic took a more southern route it probably wouldn't have hit an iceberg.
Now shipping lanes are more south to avoid icebergs.
Stronger Hull Material
The Titanic's hull was easily breached when it hit the iceberg.
Now ships are built with stronger materials.
Distress signals
24-Hour Radio Watch
When the Titanic was sinking the S.S. Californian thought the flares were identification signals instead of thinking they were distress signals.
Now flares are only used for signs of help.
When the Titanic was sinking the only boat that the Titanic could communicate with was the Carpathia because their radio was on.The other boats like the S.S. Californian didn't have their radios on.
In 1912 the United States passed a law called the Radio Act of 1912 .It meant that there had to be a 24-hour radio watch so no ship would miss a distress call.
Steamships are required to carry searchlights

When the Titanic crashed into the iceberg the lookouts couldn't see the iceberg very clearly because it was dark.They also couldn't alter their course because it was too late.
Now steamships with 50 or more people require binoculars and searchlights.
Video
Summary
Sources
Bad example of Safety
The Titanic was an awful disaster, but there were a lot of improvements that were made after it sank that have made sea travel better and more safe.
Http://wiki.answers.com/Q/what_laws_changed_after_the_Titanic_sank
Http://www.dummies.com/hhow-to/content/how-the-titanic-changed-sea-travel.html
Http://www2.sptimes.com/titanic/What_changed.html
When the Costa Concordia struck the reef off of the coast of Italy in January 2012, the passengers knew that they had to evacuate.The reason there ended up being 32 deaths was because there wasn't ever an emergency drill. The boat also crashed very quickly not giving the passengers a lot of time. If there actually was an emergency drill than there would defiantly been less deaths.
Thanks for listening, I hope you enjoyed :)
Full transcript