Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Water Policy & A New Deal for Indians
Transcript of Water Policy & A New Deal for Indians
- John Collier appointed by Franklin Delano Roosevelt to bring reform to Indian Affairs
- Led the Indian Reorganization Act (1934) - Huge dams built to control river system
- Hoover dam
- built to harness the Colorado River New Deal for Indians Water Policy By David Lange - provide electricity, flood control and irrigation
- Roosevelt’s support of power projects in the west
- Led to large support in elections ...
- 1935 Central Valley Project
- designed to bring water to arid lands
in the south
- Grand Coulee Dam - 1941 - designed
to help irrigate the Pacific Northwest Water Policy - gave surplus land to tribal ownership
- difficult to get the Indians to agree to the IRA
- language barriers made it tough - Brought important changes and some limited improvements to the lives of indians. ... Bureau of Reclamation - Rejected by the Navajos and other groups
- Bureau of Indian Affairs more sensitive to Indian culture and freedom
- Margold's opinion was held up by US courts
- US courts restored tribal rights and land to Indians ... - Reserved allotment provisions of the Dawes Severalty Act.
-Permitted restoration of surplus land to tribal ownership
-restore tribal structures by reasserting the status of Indian tribes. ... - built dams to control entire river systems
- CVP purpose to bring water from Sacramento river to arid lands of San Joaquin Valles
- Grand Coulee Damn stimulate economic development of the Pacific NW Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 Water projects designed to provide irrigation and cheap power and to prevent floods. References: New Deal. (2013). The History Channel website. Retrieved 10:10, März 4, 2013, from http://www.history.com/topics/new-deal.
Indian Reorganization Act. (2013). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved from http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/285946/Indian-Reorganization-Act
PEPPER, D. (2009, January 5). India’s New Deal - By Daniel Pepper | Foreign Policy. Foreign Policy - the global magazine of economics, politics, and ideas. Retrieved March 5, 2013, from http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/ ...