Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Round vs. Flat/ Dynamic vs. Static Characters
Transcript of Round vs. Flat/ Dynamic vs. Static Characters
- Usually the main character
- Develops throughout the story
- Well developed and seems to be real
- We see many sides to a Round
Spider-man is a Round Character
We see him as a Nerd
We see him as Romantic
We see him as sad
And we see him as a fearless, brave hero.
- Usually the supporting character. Often the
antagonist is a flat character.
- Not as complex or detailed as a round
- We usually only see one side to this character.
Cato from The Hunger Games is a Flat Character.
We only see him as a ruthless killer.
Voldemort is flat.
We only see his evil side.
Darth Maul is Flat
We only see the Dark Side in him.
Name some flat characters.
- Undergoes an important change in the story.
- Is usually the Protagonist of the story.
Not only is Batman a dynamic character because he changes from a billionaire playboy to a hero, but Spider-Man, who we saw as a round character, is also dynamic. Often, a Round character is also a Dynamic Character and vice-versa.
Peter Parker starts out as a shy, nerdy student.
He misuses and struggles to accept his new-found powers.
And then eventually becomes the hero we all know and love.
It is important to note that all dynamic changes in characters may not be for the better.
Harvey Dent's transformation into Two-Face is an additional example of this change for the worse.
Character does not undergo any change, remains the same throughout.
Static characters are usually bad guys/antagonists. However, they can be good guys/protagonists too!
The Joker is Static. He is a homicidal manic from beginning to end of the films. Note that Joker is also flat. Often, flat and static characters go hand in hand.
The Emperor is Static
President Snow is Static
Previously, we discussed how setting effects characters.
What role does setting play in making round and flat characters?
What role does setting play in making dynamic and static characters?
Types of Characters
Round vs. Flat
Dynamic vs. Static
Name Some Flat Characters
Round, Flat, Dynamic, and Static Characters