Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Edgar Allan Poe
Transcript of Edgar Allan Poe
January 19, 1809 in Boston
1811,mother dies of tuberculosis at his age of 3; he is left orphaned
1815,Allan family takes him in
1815-1827,enrolled in school
1827,first published book
1827,joins the United States Army
1835,wins a writing contest
October 7, 1849 in Baltimore
The Masque of the Red Death
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
the use of symbols to convey an idea or a concept
Thanks for Listening :)
- Many troubles in his life; foster father, military, alcohol addiction, gambling addiction
- Many tragedies; mother's
death, fostered, wife's
- Edgar Allan Poe uses alot of symbolism in his short stories and poems. In partners of two, pick any object in this room and write a small passage incorporating the object as a symbol in a very short story.
- Detective fiction
- Double murder of Mme. L'Espanaye & her daughter Camille
- Auguste Dupin & Un-named narrator solve the double murder mystery
- Masked Guest: embodiment of the Red Death
- Prince Prospero: victim of the Red Death
- Themes of life & inescapable death
- Un-named narrator: mourns the loss of his love
- The Raven: symbolizes death and never-ending remembrance
- the Ourang-outang: animalistic sense to murder
- Dupin uses psychological analysis; believes that the police do not see the big picture
- the masked guest, 7 colored rooms, ivory clock
- the Raven, Lenore's portrait