Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
nonstandard unit of measure
(compare a range of sizes, shapes,
and densities of fruits & veggies
Garden (explore the advantages of data
(collect, record, interpret data 6.EE5) Algebra How many seeds in an apple?
(estimation & counting skills
K.CC4) (number sense, tally, one-to-one
(analyze and compare the two types
of measurements with leaves 3.MD7/8) Everything Counts in the Garden Area & Perimeter of Leaves Hand Spans Weighing the Garden Harvest Symmetree (explore bilateral symmetry
and asymmetry in nature
(introduce radius, diameter
and circumference of
circular gardens 2.G 1) Planting in Circles Drawing Tree Observations (estimating proportions,
identifying shapes & patterns
(explore acute and obtuse angles
on plants 4.MD5) Angle Search Plant Predators Bud, Flower, Fruit Data by Cindy Neuschwander Plant a Flower Garden: Sequence
First #1: Size and Location
Second #2: Learn about Soil
Third #3: Climate and Plant's names
Fourth #4: Choose plants and seeds
Fifth #5: Planting Flowers and seeds
Sixth #6: Watering, Weeding, mulching
Seventh #7: Fertilize and Compost Questions about area and perimeter:
What is your hypothesis about which leaf has
a greater perimeter? Why?
What referent did you choose to measure area
and why? Was the lego the right choice? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Geometree
- Discuss inches and miles as standard measurement. Hand spans are non-standard measurement. Estimate how many hand spans Miles would be. -Follow by entering the class garden and measuring vegetables or plant growth in hand spans. Radius of our own circle __________________ radius
inches Examples of Symmetrical
& Assymetrical objects in
Nature 1. Cut a 1"x2" piece of plastic tape.
2. Lay two craft sticks, end to end, along the center of the length of tape, leaving a 1/8-inch gap between the sticks (so they may be twisted in a later step).
3. Wrap tape tightly around sticks, preserving the gap.
4. Use a permanent marking pen to color the top side of the sticks. The coloring makes the angles easier to see.
5. Holding one stick flat on a firm surface, twist the other stick 180 degrees so the colored side is face down.
6. Fold one stick 180 degree over on top of the other. How
Sticks Sunflower Flower Data Chart
Plants Buds Flowers Fruits Total/Stem #Stems Estimated Total/ Plant
______________________________________________(sum B+F+F)_________________(Total/Stem x #Stems)______
Sample 4 6 1 11 10 11 x 10 = 110
12 5 2 19 6 114 Penstemon 3 15 8 26 3 78
Tomato 15 6 0 21 9 189
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Range of #'s
3-15 5-15 0-8 11-26 3-10 78-189
12 10 8 15 7 111
8.5 8 2.75 19.25 7 122.75 Give them their own garden beds
Reuse the sandbox
Give them serious tools
Engage them through the entire process, from seed to table
Start from seed
When all else fails, make a scarecrow
Show off their work
4. snow peas
5. cherry tomatoes
7. bush beans
10. pumpkins Top 10
Gardening! Aurelia Davidson