Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Literary devices in the Importance of Being Earnest
Transcript of Literary devices in the Importance of Being Earnest
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
A pun is a play on words, it is an expression that achieves emphasis or humor.
Ex: "They're approaching. That's very forward of them."
- Cecily Act 3
What devices are used in The Importance of Being Earnest?
A figure in speech in which words are used in such a way that their intended meaning is different from their actual meaning.
Ex: Algy refferring to Bunbury as a real person, but in reality Bunbury is Algy's "cover up" or alter-ego for his life outside of the city.
A literary composition that uses irony, sarcasm, or ridicule to mock beliefs, values, or traditions. Mainly used in politics.
Ex: Lady Bracknell asks Jack if he smokes, he says yes, we expect her to criticize him. In turn, she praises him and states "I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation. There are too many idle men in London as it is."
- This is mocking the upper class of London, saying that smoking a cigarrette would be a better use of time than what they actually do.
An Epigram is a short, witty, and sometimes contradictory statement that usually ends with an ingenious turn of thought.
Ex: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Situational irony occurs when there is a discrepancy between what is expected to happen and what actually happens.
Ex: All the play characters come together and end up finding out about the "alternate lives" of Algy and Jack
Verbal Irony is the use of words to mean something different than what is actually being said.
Ex: Jack and Algy refer to "Bunbury" as their alternate life.