Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Vietnam War Cause and Effect
Transcript of Vietnam War Cause and Effect
1. 2. 3. CAUSE: Between 1969 and 1971, the number of American troops fell from 543 thousand to 157 thousand. ( Nearly a loss of 400 thousand men)
EFFECT: The South Vietnamese army became more active in the war and their casualty rate had started to increase. The Vietnam War was started in the late 1940s because communism was starting to grow in Vietnam, and the US wanted to keep it contained. President Nixon was worried that if Vietnam was to become communist, other nations would follow suit and switch to communism. At the end of the war there were a million plus casualties on both sides. The war officially ended in 1975 with the fall of Saigon. CAUSE: United States initiates action to prevent the spread of communism.
EFFECT: Loss of life in mass numbers on both sides. CAUSE: The US believed in the "domino effect". If one country was communist, then they were all going to become communistic.
EFFECT: Congress passed a resolution to give the President power to declare war. They start bombing entire cities full of innocent people. CAUSE: The Viet Cong soldiers traveled light, knew their way around the land, and had to distinguish enemy troops from regular villagers.
EFFECT: The US soldiers had a hard time in defeating them. US forces resorted to using "search and destroy" tactics. They would drop large bombs on towns because one shot had been fired from the place. 4. Vietnam War 5. CAUSE: The last of the American combat troops pulled out in March 1973. As American aid decreased, Chinese and Soviet aid increased. In January 1975, N. Vietnam launched a full scale attack on the South.
EFFECT: On April 31, the North had captured Saigon. In the following year, North and South Vietnam were united to create a single nation.