Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Caste System
by Amra & Stina
Multifaceted & complex history
The term "caste"
"Breed" and "lineage"
Varna and Jati
Race and color
Vedas --> 1500-1000 BCE
Traces of caste:
Own kind of caste system:
Present caste systems:
Somali of East Horn
1932 - Untouchables separate electorates
Gandhi - Emberked on a fast
1933 - Country-wide tour
- Evoked great enthusiasm
- One of Gandhis goals
- Harijans- "Children of God"
- Gandhi stayed with them in their colonies.
- People from different communities ate together in public diners.
"It was like a poison eating into the very vitals of Hindu religion"
Different i cities and villages
The middleclass think the caste system doesn't exist
In villages --> evident that it does exist
India lacks a free people, hopelessness and poverty
“India did not win freedom from the British in order to deny freedom to Indians”
Denied access to human rights.
Hinduism created the worlds biggest apartheid and slave system in the world.
Each class has a special role and function in society --> effective society
Four types of people: the Educated, the Warriors, the Traders and Businessmen. and the Manual labor.
The Vedas do NOT mention Untouchability
We need to accept the cast system
What we have learned
We didn't know much
"Spread the word"
Films and clips
- Do you think India needs the cast system? Would the society survive without it?
- Do you think that every society is divided into groups (has a “hidden” cast system) ?
- Do you think the caste system provides conflicts? Why/Why not?
Priests - "Brahmins"
Warriors & Kings - "Khsatriyas"
Middle class - "Vaishyas"
Farmers, Servants etc. - "Shudras"
"The Untouchables or Pariahs"
Sanskrit - language spoken in India