Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Semi-Structured Interview
3rd February 2017
Why using interviews?
interviewing may be appropriate where depth of meaning is important and the research is primarily focused in gaining insight and understanding.
• It provides the opportunity to generate rich data;
• Language use by participants was considered essential in gaining insight into their
perceptions and values;
• Contextual and relational aspects were seen as significant to understanding others’
• Data generated can be analysed in different ways.
The “interview” is a managed verbal exchange
Interview and its requirements
Its effectiveness heavily depends on the communication skills of the interviewer:
- clearly structure questions;
- pause, probe or prompt appropriately (Ritchie & Lewis, p.141);
- encourage and let the interviewee to talk freely, ability to establish rapport
How to structure questions
1) General topics related to the research design (four of five topics are enough)
2) For each topic writing three/four questions
3) Which questions? It obviously depends on your research design. My suggestion is asking
Exempla (research on TV series consumption habits)
How was the last episode of Black Mirror?
Did you like the last episode of Black Mirror?
Could you please tell me how you typically watch Black Mirror?
Which setting (and other practical stuff)
What we are looking for?
SO ON SO FORTH
The argument is that only by developing intimate, trusting and empathetic relationships will respondents feel able to talk honestly