Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Straw Bale Construction
Transcript of Straw Bale Construction
Where are they used?
First one was built in Nebraska
Most common in Southern California
Used in England
Pros of Straw Bale Construction
When stalks become disposal problems for farmers, they can be reused to make the bails.
Since the bails are thick, they add aesthetic value to the home
It is very easy to understand how to build using straw bales.
Can last over 100 years
Cons of Straw Bale Construction
Hard to get plans approved
Need to be kept dry
Cost of shipping the bales is high
Waste Materials make up Straw Bales
Bags to put gravel in
Wood for roof
Sheep wool with pond liner
Can be curved easily with a knife or chainsaw
More flame retardant than wood framing
Can be very beautiful
1. Dig a trench to remove the top soil and fill the trench with gravel.
2. On top of that gravel, lay bags filled with more gravel.
3. Buy straw bales and build them up into your walls.
4. Build the roof using repurposed wood, sheep wool that is covered with pond liner, and top of with a layer of soil.
5. Seal straw bales with clay plaster.
Special Skills Needed
Ability to adapt to new building techniques
Must be able to get the straw bales on to the house walls (they are heavy)
"How to Build a Straw Bale House - Modern Farmer." Modern Farmer. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
"Strawbale Homes: Load Bearing vs Post and Beam." Building Sustainable Green Homes with Natural Materials Blog RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
"Straw Bale Walls." Earth Sweet Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
"Sustainable Building Systems." Sustainable Building Systems. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
"The Pros and Cons of Straw Bale Wall Construction In Green Building | Building With Awareness Blog." Building With Awareness Blog RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Dec. 2013.