Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Canadian and American Relations
Transcript of Canadian and American Relations
Sought closer ties with US
President Ronald Reagan
1987) Free Trade Agreement: Removed Tariffs on many goods crossing the border.
(1985) Eliminated FIRA and "opened" Canada
1973 Foreign Investment Review Agency (FIRA):
- Protected important Canadian industries from foreign takeover.
1968: Foreign policy: Wanted to be less dependent on US
1970 & 1976 Recognised the Communist Chinese government & visited Communist Cuba against US wishes.
1972 Nuclear warheads removed from BOMARC Missiles. All nuclear material in Canada gone by 1984.
Pierre Trudeau 1968 - 84
1992) NAFTA: Expanded Free Trade to include Mexico. Many feared Canada would lose thousands of jobs to Mexico - never really happened to a devastating effect.
Post World War II
1950s: Television exposed Canadians to American culture in an unprecedented way.
1) Strengthening the National Film Board
2) TV should be used for national communication CBC was already a radio, now it would be TV.
1968: Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission
To make regulate foreign content and require Canadian content.
By 1956, 68% of Oil Industry in Canada is US owned; 88% by 1967.
Positives: Branch plants = good jobs & new technologies introduced to Canada
Negatives: Profits from branch plants went to HQ in the US.
(1985) "No" to STAR WARS defense shield against the Soviets
Also, Canada loses control of its economy.