Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Day of the Dead
Transcript of Day of the Dead
Core group: Mexican
As a large celebration to honor passed friends and family
As a day to communicate with departed souls
It was a ritual the indigenous people had been practicing at least 3,000 years.
Other Meso-American groups
They had two celebrations (from late July-early August)
- feast of "All Souls" (established in the Roman Catholic calendar, in 13th c.)
- “All Saint’s Day” (established by Pope Gregory the 6th, in 19th c.)
Spanish conquered Mexico
Priest were sent to Mexico to destroy or incorporate as many of the early native rituals into Catholicism as possible.
The Spaniards would try unsuccessfully to eradicate the ritual.
They all merged
together and became
a the rich and unique festival.
For the Spaniards:
death as the end of life.
For the natives
: death as the continuation of life.
Instead of fearing death, they embraced it.
Life was a dream and only in death did they become truly awake.
Indian rituals of death
Catholic feast of all Soul’s Day
Day of the Dead
Decitated to children.
Decitated to adults.
Dia de los Muertos
Symbolize death and rebirth
Dia de los Muertos or Day of the dead
Occurs on November 1st and 2nd
Celebration and Remembrance of the deceased
Mostly celebrated by Latin Americans
It’s a day of Celebration
make occasion flexible
People who participate in Day of the Dead festivities usually start with a mass honoring all souls.
Then later at night they commune in cemeteries to celebrate those departed
What was Death?