Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Example
- Andy Slavitt, CEO OptumInsight "Doctors who are responsible for discharging patients tell us that they often will not release a patient from a hospital even when they are likely ready to go home if their primary care physician has not been made aware of, or scheduled a follow up appointment." Why the unnecessary stays? Communication! EHR and the Cloud will make communication a snap... When a person enters the hospital, using the Cloud, their PCP would be notified immediately and would be prompted to schedule a follow up appointment. This could be done right from their iPhone or laptop; reducing unnecessary hosital stays. Replacing manual processes with electronic medical records and innovative uses of technology can decrease errors, increase access (through lower costs), and save lives. "Medical errors cause up to 98,000 deaths each year in the United States."
- Institute of Medicine Increasing safety So how are we going to pay for all of this? Implementing EHR in the Cloud will be expensive and ambitious, but the benefits to the healthcare system are sure to outweigh the costs as well as save lives...
But there are ways to pay for this! American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 Supplemental Healthcare Exhibit Pt. 3 Includes $19 billion dollars in funding and incentives for the development, adoption, and upgrade of Health Information Technology
Physicians, who are "meaningful users" will receive cash payment incentives
Penalties will be enforced for those physicians who don't adopt an EHR by 2015 New regulation will allow UnitedHealthcare to add Health Information Technology (HIT) expenses to medical expenses for purposes of calculating the Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Reduce rebates without reducing premiums! In the long run, EHR and the cloud will pay for itself! Reduction of medical costs, e.g. less medical errors, increased efficiency and safety, coupled with the financial incentives already in place and Moore's law (cost of technology decreases over time) the decision to fully support EHR and Cloud implementation is a no-brainer! Keeping your information safe Information security is an ongoing issue in the electronic world.
The upmost care will need to be taken to ensure everyone's medical information stays safe. When we combine what is possible with what is desirable and what is viable... When you combine innovation with the power to connect the world... Technology! Now that's Innovation! Now that's The Cloud Now that's Angela Bidinger