Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Great Depression
Transcript of The Great Depression
In what ways did the Great Depression influence culture in the 1930's?
In what ways did the Great Depression affect isolation between countries?
How People Reacted
What Was The Great Depression?
Every country was affected differently by the Great Depression. Countries who greatly depended on heavy industry were effected the most. Countries such as Australia, Canada, and China were effected as well as countries in Europe and Africa. Many countries suffered because international trade lowered.
The Great Depression was an economic depression preceding WWII. It began in 1929 and faded out in the mid. 1940's. Many people were affected by the Great Depression. Unemployment in the United States rose to 25% and in other countries rose as high as 33%. The Great Depression is considered to be one of the worst blows to the world's economy in history.
By Momoka Stroup and Nadia Crace
Vol XCIII, No. 311
What Caused The Great Depression?
The Great Depression
During the Great Depression, people tried to escape from their everyday lives. Activities like going to see movies became popular. During this time, movies like
The Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Dracula
premiered. Also, comics like superman were becoming popular at this time. Activities like these helped people to relax, enjoy themselves, and forget about the Depression, even if it was just for a little while.
While other countries unemployment rose by about 30%, some countries were not affected as much. Countries such as Argentina and Japan had less connections with the world. The unemployment there only rose about to about 10%. Also communist countries such as the Soviet Union were affected the least. Because of that, many Americans moved there during the Great Depression.
Effects Of The Great Depression
The Great Depression had many effects. Personal effects included personal income, tax revenue, profits, and prices dropped. More widespread effects included that international trade dropped by more than 50%, the unemployment rate rose, as well as the crime rate. The Great Depression caused both social and cultural effects.
The Stock Market Crash of 1929, also known as
Over 9,000 bank failures in the 1930's
Reduction in purchasing
American economic policy with Europe; known as the
Drought Conditions in the 1930's
- An act that was signed in the 1930's to insure an American economic policy with Europe. It charged a high tax for over 20,000 imports, which led to less trade between America and foreign countries. It was originally intended to help protect domestic farmers against agricultural imports. This was one cause of the Great Depression. It was also known as the Smoot Hawley Act.
- A tax or duty to be paid on a particular class of imports or exports.
- October 29, 1929; the day the stock market crashed.
A lot of things caused the Great Depression including: