Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Copy of tesis
Transcript of Copy of Copy of tesis
the average compressive strength of concrete hollow block mixed with different
proportions of Polystyrene foam.
2. The average weight of normal concrete hollow blocks is higher than the concrete hollow block mixed with different proportions of Polystyrene foam
3. When the Polystyrene component of the concrete hollow block increase. The compressive strength and weight of the concrete hollow blocks both decreases in a very minimal manner.
4. As the weight of the concrete hollow block decreases, the average compressive strength of the blocks increase from the curing stage of 7th and 14th Day. Regarding the Effect of Polystyrene foam in the Concrete Hollow Blocks the following conclusion were drawn:
1. The concrete hollow blocks with Polystyrene foam will result to a lesser weight as compare to the normal Concrete hollow block.
2. There is a significant difference between the weight and strength of normal concrete hollow
block and the concrete hollow block with different proportions of Styrofoam with respect to the time of curing. Summary of Tabulated Results Compressive Strength Test Result Compressive Strength Test Result 14th day Brainstorming Results Realization Sketches 7th day INTRODUCTION Concrete is the most widely used construction material. It is a composite construction material, composed of cement and other cementitious materials such as fly ash and slag cement, aggregate water and chemical admixtures. A concrete block is primarily used as a building material in the construction of walls. The term precast refers to the fact that the blocks are formed and hardened before they are brought to the job site. Polystyrene is a "polymer of styrene." Polymers are large molecules consisting of adjoined identical molecules, and styrene is a colorless, oily liquid. When polystyrene is made, its structure is that of a rigid transparent thermoplastic, resembling a stiff white foam. Statement of the Problem Styrofoam is made from polystyrene. Polystyrene is a petroleum-based plastic. In fact, Styrofoam is the trade name for polystyrene. It gained popularity because it is lightweight, offers good insulation properties that keep products cold or hot, and keeps things safe during the shipping process without adding weight. While there are some positive aspects of the material, the years have shown that Styrofoam also has harmful effects in terms of Environmental Health Concerns, air pollution, food contamination, it is non-biodegradable and non-sustainable. Start Preparation of materials mixing molding Objectives The objectives of this research are as follows:
1. To reduce the waste of polystyrene foam also known as Styrofoam.
2. To determine the effect of polystyrene foam in Concrete Hollow Blocks. Scope and Limitations The research is generally about concrete blocks which will be produce using a number of regular sized blocks. In this research, we will observe if the quality of the concrete hollow blocks will improve by adding Polystyrene foam. The concrete materials used are limited to Pozzoland cement, natural sand for the fine aggregate and potable water. There are only five(4) polystyrene proportions used in the study, the control specimen with no polystyrene content and the experimental groups with 0.1%, 0.25%, and 0.5% polystyrene content. The making and curing of the concrete specimens were in accordance to ASTM C31/C31M (Standard Practice for Making and Curing Test Specimen in the Field). The Physical tests were done on the fine aggregates are limited only on the determination of its Specific gravity, absorption, moisture content and Sieve Analysis. Samples were tested at the 7th and 14th days. All in accordance with ASTM C 140 – 03 (Standard Test Methods for Sampling and Testing Concrete Masonry Units and Related Units). Conceptual Framework Significance of the Study DATA 1.Environment – polystyrene is the fifth-largest producer of hazardous waste reports said that almost one-quarter to one-third of all the matter in landfills is Styrofoam 2.Humans – Polystyrene contains the toxic substances Styrene and Benzene, suspected carcinogens and neurotoxins that are hazardous to humans. 3.Animals – when Styrofoam into small fragments, which can choke animals; over 100,000 marine animals die per year from Styrofoam and other plastic trash. Weight of Concrete Hollow Blocks Due to increasing awareness on Environmental concerns, the diminishing recycling market for polystyrene products and for being a non-sustainable resource. We will using concrete block and Styrofoam together to produce a CHB to reduce polystyrene waste and at the same time to develop awareness for future construction materials development. Sketches Testing Recommendation Researchers, through this study would like to recommend the following:
1. Due to the threatening effect of Styrofoam to the Environment we sought to be aware of the harmful effects of using polystyrene products and tell others.Use reusable cups at work instead of foam cups. When shopping for groceries, select items that are unwrapped, or wrapped in non-polystyrene materials.
2. Instead of using Styrofoam used alternatives that are available and made from materials such as post-consumer recycled paper and corn-plastics.
3. A further study should be done on the Styrofoam as for being a good insulation materials in combination with concrete hollow blocks for future construction materials development.
4. Conduct different proportioning of the mix, like experimenting with a high cement factor.
5. A very high content of Polystyrene foam are not advisable due to the poor quality of Concrete Hollow Blocks produces. Weight of Concrete Hollow Blocks Sieve Analysis Concrete Hollow Block Mixture Properties of Fine Aggregates END