Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of THE ENGINEER
What is an engineer?
What is Engineering?
Engineering is the application of mathematics and scientific principles to better or improve life.
HISTORY OF ENGINEERS
The First Engineers
WHAT QUALITIES DO SUCCESSFUL ENGINEERS HAVE?
An engineer is a person designs and builds things like machines or systems to help solve a specific problem.
The research engineer seeks new principles processes by employing mathematical and scientific concepts, experiment techniques, and inductive reasoning.
The development engineer applies the results of research to useful purposes. Ingenious and creative application of new knowledge may result in a working model of a new electronics circuit, a chemical process, an industrial machine, or a gadget of optronics.
In designing a structure of a product, the engineer selects methods, specifies materials, and determines shapes to satisfy technical requirements and to meet performance specification.
The operating engineer controls machines, plants, and organizations providing power, transportation, and communication. He determines procedures and supervises personnel to obtain reliable and economic operation of complex equipment.
The construction engineer is responsible for preparing the site, determining procedures that will economically and safely yield the desired quality, directing the placement of materials, and organizing the personnel and equipement.
WHAT DO ENGINEERS DO?
MANAGEMENT AND OTHER FUNCTIONS
In some countries and industries, engineers analyze customer requirements, recommend units to satisfy needs economically, and resolve related problems. In some industries, too, engineers decide how assets are to be used.
plan, design, construct and maintain structures - such as buildings, roads, bridges and dams - that meet the human needs.
Design, build and test machines, engines and other mechanical devices.
Design, manufacture and operate aircraft, spacecraft, missiles and rockets.
Apply engineering principles and techniques to the medical field. They combine the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to help improve patient health care and the quality of life of individuals.
ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS
Design, develop, test and supervise the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment.
COMPUTER/ SOFTWARE ENGINEERS
Apply the quickly evolving principles and techniques of computer science, engineering and mathematical analysis to the design, development, test and evaluation of software and software systems.
TYPES OF ENGINEERS
Shows an Attention to Detail
Has Excellent Communication Skills
Takes Part in Continuing Education
Shows an Ability to Think Logically
Is A Team Player
Has Good Problem Solving Skills
Is Mathematically Inclined
Possesses a Strong Analytical Aptitude
Has Excellent Technical Knowledge
You'll have the power to make a difference!
You'll be working with other talented people!
You'll have lots of options!
You'll have money and job security!
You'll get to do cool stuff!
Why Be an Engineer?
William Giblert 1544-1603
During the renaissance, many more engineering specializations began to surface.
Start Preparing now!!
• Join an on-campus engineering organization
• Take several online career assessments
• Attend engineering and general career exploration workshops, job fairs and other career related events
• Identify and contact engineering professionals
• Research any available job shadowing or volunteer opportunities
• Plan early for engineering summer work opportunities or internships.
• Prepare for engineering internship interviews by attending interview workshops
• Attend engineering and general career fairs
• Research graduate engineering programs and the schools that offer them
• Finalize engineering summer experience/internship plans.
• Create a resume.
• Introduce yourself to the Career Resource/Service staff at
• Learn about yourself, your interests, and skills by utilizing online and printed resources.
• Choose your engineering major.
• Identify and pursue summer work and volunteer experiences that align with your engineering major
• Ensure to maintain a strong GPA, as many employers will exclude students and recent graduates with low GPAs from internships and job opportunities.
• Finalize your resume and cover letters to reflect all of the engineering work experience you have gained, as well as your education.
• Sign up for mock interviews with your Career Resources/Services staff.
• Research potential employers and job possibilities
• Pursue any networking contacts through friends, family, clubs, professors, etc.
• If you have had successful co-op or internship experiences, you may already have one or more full-time job offers from employers with whom you have already worked.
Engineering Salary Statisctics
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH AN ENGINEERING DEGREE, APART FROM BEING AN ENGINEER?