Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
EXPRESSING OFFERING AND SUGGESTION
Transcript of EXPRESSING OFFERING AND SUGGESTION
Suggestion is introduce or propose an idea or a plan for consideration
Suggestion can be taken or rejected, it’s up to the person who receives the suggestion
The purpose of suggestion is to give or propose our ideas based on our opinion
We also can use suggestion to give our friends advice on what they might do in a certain situation.
For example, your best friends will throw a birthday party next week. You can suggest him/her about the place of the party, the cake flavor, etc.
when someone asks you if you would like to have something or if you would like them to do something :
A: "If you like I can do some shopping for you."
B: "That's a very kind offer."
• 1. Focused on individual participant
• 2. Use of simple present tense
• 3. Usually arranged in a form of question
• 4. Direct usage of expression
The first thing you have to know is the concept of offering and suggestion. Then, you can try this with your partner to learn more.
- Take a piece of paper.
- Write on the paper about a problem you have now.
- Exchange your paper with your partner.
- Now, writes a suggestion of your friend’s problem on the paper.
- Use the expressions of offering and suggestion you have learned.
- Return the paper to your partner.
- In pairs, make a short dialog with your friend about offering and suggestion
- You can also ask your teacher, friend, and learn from others
An offer is different with a suggestion. An offer is an expression of willingness to do something. Meanwhile, a suggestion is usually an expression of an idea for someone else to do something. We usually use an offer to ask people if they are need something or help. And we usually use a suggestion to give an advice for people. On giving a suggestion, we use:
You should + V1
You had better + V1
You ought to + V1
I suggest you to + V1
What about + Ving
How about + Ving
Let’s + V1
Why don’t you + V1
Couldn’t you + V1
Also we can use with “could”, “let’s”, “why don’t”, and “shall”.
On giving an offer:
Can I get you some…?
Would you like some..?
May I offer you some…?
Would you like me to get you some..?
- What can I get for you?
- Won't you have …. ?
- Have some ….?
- Are you up for …?
EXPRESSION OF OFFERING & SUGESSTION
XI MIPA 1 - 3rd Group
Offering is an expression of willingness to do something for other people
Offering can be accepted or refused, it’s up to the person who receives the offering
The purpose of offering is to present, introduce or propose help or an assist for consideration.
For example, your friend has to bring a lot of books to the library. You can offer her/him your help.
2. S + Had better + Verb 1
- You had better study hard this semester
- You had better go to work today
1. S + Modal (should, Ought to, Could, etc) + Verb1
- Budi should apologize to Mr. Rohmat
- Your friend ought to study hard this semester
- You could go on a picnic
3. S + Suggest + (that) + S + (should) + Verb 1
- I suggest we go to a movie
- I suggest that we should visit Paris
4. Using Base Form Of The Verb
- Shall we...à shall we go to a movie.
- Let's...à let`s go to a movie.
- Why don't we...à Why don't we go to a movie?
5. Using The '-Ing' Form Of The Verb
- How about...à How about going to a movie?
- What about....à What about going to a movie?
➢ Offers Something
- Can I get you some...?
- Would you like some...?
- May I offer you some...?
- Would you like me to get you some...?
- How about some...?
- What about some...?
- What do you say about some...?
- Are you up for some...?
Can you guys make at least 3 examples of offering text?
Make a dialogue with your mate that include offering text!
Fill the blank below!
1. "introduce or propose an idea or a plan for consideration"
This is a definition of .............
Is it right? If it's not, correct it! And why do you give us that answer?
2. If you want to give offering, it's up to the recipient whether they want to take or reject
Explain by your own word!
3. What is an Offering?
Multiple choice! Choose the right answer
4. One of these choices below that's not similar with 'suggestion'
b. Action point
2. Not correct, accept and refuse
3. Elva explains
A suggestion is usually an expression of an idea for someone else to do something.
Suggestion means to present a suggestion that is to introduce or propose an idea or a plan for consideration.
Suggestion means to propose a plan. It can be accepted or refused.
Offering is an expression of willingness to do something for other people.
We usually use an offer to ask people if they are need something or help.
Offering can be accepted or refused, it’s up to the person who receives the offering.
Fill in the blanks!
1. The first thing you have to know is ...... of offering and suggestion.
2. In pairs, make a ...... with your friend about offering and suggestion
you can also ask your teacher, friend, and learn from others.
1. The concept
2. Short dialog
1. Read the following dialogues! Is it suggestion or an offer?
Luna : Oh, I'm hungry, but there is no food on the dining table.
Kiki : You can have lunch with me.
Luna : Really?
Kiki : Yes. I just have lunch with my mother.
Luna : oh, that's very kind of you.
Joko : I have to wash many clothes now. I hate washing clothes.
Rudi : Why don't you make take them to the laundry?
Joko : That's a good idea. Do you know the cheap laundry?
Rudi : Yes. It is in front of the field.
Dialogue 1 is...
Dialogue 2 is...
Choose A, B, C, D, or E for the correct answers!
2. Woman : I want to cook for lunch.
Man : What are you going to cook?
Woman : I'm going to cook this meat? Do you have any idea?
Man : How about steak? Mother loves steak.
Woman : That's a good idea.
What does the man suggest?
a. Buy a steak
b. Buy some slices of meat.
c. Have a lunch.
d. Make a steak.
e. Call the woman's mother
3. Dani :
Can I help you carry the bag to your room?
Doni : No, thank you. I can do it myself.
The red words show...
a. Asking to fo something.
b. Apologizing for a mistake.
c. Offering to do something.
d. Agreeing with someone's opinion.
e. Disagreeing with someone's opinion.
Fill in the blanks with the correct answers!
1. Offering and suggestion focuses on ..... participant.
2. Offering and suggestion uses the .... tense.
3. It is usually arranged in the form of a ......
4. A ...... usage of expression is used in offering and suggestion.
2. Simple present
1. A : You look unhealthy, Boy.
B : Yes, I get a headache and a stomachache.
A : You should go to a doctor. Come on, I will accompany you.
B : Ok.
The underlined words show ....
Fill in the blank!
2. You should ............... to past the test.
a. Study hard
c. Studying hard
3. Andi : I have a bad headache.
Budi : You’d better ......................
a. Taking an aspirin
b. An aspirin
c. Take an aspirin
d. To take an aspirin
4. Amir : I am not good at English.
Budi : ..........................
a. I should practise English every day.
b. Why don’t you take an English course and practise every day ?
c. Do you like English ?
d. I must take an English course
5. Mary failed again in the test. She ....................... harder.
a. Had better study
b. Need to study
c. Better study
6. I miss my grandparents. What ........................ I do now ?
b. Had better
1. c. advice.
2. a. Study hard
3. d. To take an aspirin
4. b. Why don’t you take an English course and practise every day ?
5. b. Need to study
6. c. Should
Adi : Tomorrow is a holiday, but I can only stay at home.
Budi : What about you visit your grandfather?
Adi : That's a good idea. I miss him very much.
The following words can be used to give offerings :
Anna : Hey Dina, What are you doing?
Dina : I was clean the blackboard.
Anna : Can I clean the blackboard for you?
Dina : Thank you. I appreciate your help.
Anna : Yes, its a pleasure.
Andy : What are you doing, Deb?
Deby : I'm replying e-mail from client and writing 10 articles abut travelling.
Andy : Wow, you are so busy, right?
Deby : Yeah. I'm so stressful.
Andy : Shall I do your half job?
Deby : Really? You must be kidding me.
Andy : I'm so serious, Deb. How?
Deby : Thank you so much. I appreciate you help.
Andy : Welcome, Deb.
Ari : Tonight is Anisa's birthday. But I haven't bought a present yet.
Edo : Why you don't you buy flowers?
Ari : I dont think it is a good idea. I'm ashamed.
Edo : How about giving her a novel?
Ari : Sounds good. She likes reading novels. Okay I'll buy it.
1. Dialogue 1 is offering.
Dialogue 2 is suggestion.
The following words can be used to give suggestions :
Answers this questions!
1. What is the purpose of suggestion?
2. What is the purpose of offering?
Look at the conversation below
Brian : Would you like me to help you on your new project?
Delita: I would love the help! Would you prefer helping with the writing part or is programming more your thing?
Brian : I would enjoy helping with the writing portion.
3. What was Brian doing in the conversation?
Look at the conversation below
Mark : My stomach has been hurting since yesterday.
Jack : You’d better see the doctor then.
Mark : I think that’s a good idea.
4. What was Jack doing in the conversation?
1. The purpose of suggestion is to give or propose our ideas based on our opinion
2. The purpose of offering is to present, introduce or propose help or an assist for consideration.
3. Brian was offering his help to Delita on Delita’s new project
4. Jack was suggesting Mark to see a doctor concerning Mark’s stomach.
Choose a, b, c, d, or e for the correct answers!
1.Read the dialogue below carefully!!
Anton : I have a serious problem today. I have just lost my driver license.
Shally : Don't be so sad my friend, let us search it around the park.
Anton : I have looked for it for hours but I do not find it, do you have some ideas?
Shally : You had better tell the securities to announce it to other students.
Anton : Yeah, that sounds good. I do hope it helps
Which words show giving suggestion?
a. I have just lost my driver license
b. Do you have some ideas
c. You had better tell the securities
d. Don't be so sad my friends
e. Yeah, that sounds good. I do hope it helps.
2. Example sentences the giving suggestion, except...
a. I advise you to...
b. You should....
c. You ought....
d. I will...
e. You could…
3. Read this conversation below carefully!
Mother : Ali…where are you? Wake up my dear. It’s Monday morning.
Ali : I’m here mom, in my bed room
Mother : oh…. There you are. Don’t you go to school?
Ali : Mom, I have got a headache.
Mother : Let me check. You have got a high temperature. You should stay at home.
Ali : okay, mom.
Which sentences show the giving suggestion?
a. I have got a headache
b. You should stay at home
c. Don't you go to school?
d. Let me check
e. Wake up my dear
1. c. You had better tell the securities
2. d. I will...
3. b. You should stay at home
1. What is blue-dressed chimpanzee put before he acted like playing the piano?
2. Why he acted like playing the piano and didn’t touch the keys?
3. what is the chimpanzees do when they're in the backstage? explain it!
4. why chimpanzee in blue dressed is not allowed to play the piano by the old lady?
5. what is big chimp do when two chimpanzees play the piano in front of the old lady?
6. how many chimpanzee in the movie?
2. because he was afraid the old lady knew he was playing the piano.
3. they find unused piano in the backstage. then the monkey was playing, so he could play the piano as well.
4. because he plays fast rhythmic music, while the old lady likes the classical rhythm (because they have different music taste)
5. He was dancing
6. 4 chimps
In a world where monkeys are music lovers, two young chimpanzees separated by a dispute of music. chimpanzee that raised by chimpanzees women is teached to love classical music, but his friend likes fast rhythmic music. the old lady was very upset to know his friend play the fast rhythm of music. chimpanzee and his friend felt sad and separated.
when in the theaters, blue dressed chimpanzee was pretending to play the piano but not touching the keys, because he was afraid the old lady know. when the old lady and her upbringing chimpanzee came, blue dressed chimpanzees immediately headed to the backstage.
but no one can confine the talents of others. chimps in blue dressed find unused piano in the backstage and decided to play it. Classical music was instantly transformed into a fast rhythmic music. old lady was very shocked and upset to see the chimpanzee and his friend play different music tastes with hers.
So that we can learn from this movie are that we should have the mutual respect for differences, and do not impose the will of others. Especially for tastes of music.