Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of American Literature
Brought to Virginia in 1619 by Dutch and English slave ships.
Very brutal living conditions
on the slave ships.
Work in field labor, as well as household and skilled labor.
Beginnings to 1800
As you read the stories of Early Americans, think about how this reflects what it means to be an American and how our past affects our identity now.
Native American Peoples
When Europeans reached the Americas, their writings recorded their experiences of exploration and settlement.
Preserved their stories through myths, songs, and other lore from long ago.
When Europeans arrived in the 1490s, it was already
home to hundreds of Natives from various cultures
Believe that animals and nature are sacred and that
no one person should own the land.
Came to America for opportunity and religious freedom.
Their religion was various forms of
Believed in "Manifest Destiny" is a belief
that God destined them to conquer
1. What is your view of the Native American belief
system that held the natural world as sacred?
2. How did Native Americans religious views lead
to conflict with Europeans?
3. What movies do you remember that incorporate
the circle of life?
1. What is meant by the phrase in paragraph 1, "subdue a wilderness"?
2. Why did the Puritans adopt a plain writing style?
3. What can you tell about the Puritans based on the painting on page 15?