Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Interpersonal Communiction
How we develop effective communication.
"That overall feeling that happens between people. "
The emotional mood:
That is called the
Want an open interpersonal climate?
is the revelation of information about ourselves that others wouldn't find out on their own.
I'm actually an alien in disguise.
Social Penetration Theory
Want a supportive interpersonal climate?
1. the person you're communicating with exists.
2. that the person matters and is heard.
3. or communicate your acceptance of that person's message.
Use both verbals
Or don't do these things and risk an unsupportive climate.
is when two parties who depend on each other have different views, interests or goals and perceive their differences as incompatible.
can be a beneficial for individuals and relationships
The way you handle conflict effects the interpersonal climate.
What is your conflict management style?
proposes that, as relationships develop, interpersonal communication moves from relatively shallow, non-intimate levels to deeper, more intimate ones
-any interaction between two people, usually face to face.
Also called DYADIC.
Ex: shoe salesman, the teacher, the officer giving your a ticket.
When we use technology, it is called Computer-Mediated Communication or CMC.
Ex: email, social media, online chat rooms.
COMMUNICATION COMPETENCE -
effective communication involves achieving one's goals in a manner that ideally, maintains or enhances the relationship in which it occurs.
If you are competent, you can . . .
Stages of performing these skills . . .
When you learn a new and better way of behaving.
Initial attempts at communicating this way are awkward.
When you keep working at it to overcome the awkwardness.
You are able to perform the skill without thinking about it.
Use a wide range of behaviors.
Have the ability to choose the most appropriate behavior.
Be skilled at performing that behavior.
Everything we have learned applies!
1. Discuss what kind of information you would
disclose about yourself for each of the 5 levels
of social penetration.
2. What kinds of communication do you need to
improve on in order to consider yourself
3. Do you see in issues of quality versus quantity
of communication in your life?
In Western cultures, it is a gauge of closeness.
Satisfaction in romantic relationships is tied to it.
It should be done gradually.
It is all about acceptance and reciprocation.
It ensures a confirming interpersonal climate.
When people express their differences in a straightforward manner. The differences are out in the open.
When people deny or hide their disagreement or anger and express it indirectly.
1. Allow each group member to share experiences of both OVERT and COVERT conflict in their past or present living situation.
2. Also, what their conflict style is.
3. During each members discussion, practice using the three steps to a supportive interpersonal climate in both verbal and nonverbal ways.
1. Recognition- "I confirm you exist."
2. Acknowledge- "This is what I hear you say."
3. Endorse- "I agree with what you are saying."